Forum: Ruby on Rails How to Implement ACL (Access Control List) in ROR?

5b6e58cabeba80bc6faf29b7f45aa622?d=identicon&s=25 shahroon ali (Guest)
Hey All, Could any body tell me about implementation of ACL in RoR,
becasue
i was searching on it for last two days but I haven't got anything very
helpful. I have downloaded the restful_authentication plugin for it, but
dont have any tutorial about using this plugin. Or tell me if there is
any
other plugin for this.
Thanks & Regards,
Shahroon
5cabbcab339feace80762194dc9302ed?d=identicon&s=25 Christoph Jasinski (Guest)
Hi Shahroon,

what you could do is to register at http://www.buildingwebapps.com/ and
take
the Learning Rails free online-course. That's what I did. In one of the
screencasts they explain how to do Login and all that stuff. It's pretty
easy.

Good luck and hopefully I could help.

Chris
shahroon ali wrote:
> Hey All, Could any body tell me about implementation of ACL in RoR,
> becasue
> i was searching on it for last two days but I haven't got anything very
> helpful. I have downloaded the restful_authentication plugin for it, but
> dont have any tutorial about using this plugin. Or tell me if there is
> any
> other plugin for this.
> Thanks & Regards,
> Shahroon

First of all restful_authentication does not implement ACL. It is a
authentication plugin not an authorization plugin.

I have not investigated any of these but a quick search for ACL on
Github list a good number of solutions:

http://github.com/search?q=acl&x=0&y=0
5b6e58cabeba80bc6faf29b7f45aa622?d=identicon&s=25 shahroon ali (Guest)
Thanks both of you, well i have implemented the user authentication and
know how to do that but I am searching a solution for a Group Based ACL,
just want to know that if there is any plugin available for this or not?
And
I have visited the github site as well but its examples or can say
solutions
are mostly in old versions of rails.
Thanks & Regards,
Shahroon

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Robert Walker <
5cabbcab339feace80762194dc9302ed?d=identicon&s=25 Christoph Jasinski (Guest)
An idea came to my mind right now. You could either create your own
plugin which implements ACL, groups etc. I'm sure somebody will need
it one day ;) That's how things come to being.
The other thing is that when an user is created he or the admin can
set an attribut in which group he/she belongs like in *nix system. Or
you can use a default setting etc.

Example
Normally you would have a user model with the following attributes

User:
 - name
 - password
 - ...

Than you create a group model and assosiate a user to a group or to
several groups.
You could also mark/flag some resources with an group id/attribute, so
that an user can access that resource only iff he is a member of that
certain group. Just like *nix platforms.

Hope, I could help. Btw I'm a Rails newby, but that was an idea that
came to my mind. Maybe a rails veteran can add some comment.

Greetings

Chris