Forum: Ruby on Rails ROXML versus simple to_xml

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
6fd237f6f40f5afca32aca6ea633f58a?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Lobato (Guest)
on 2009-01-05 21:09
(Received via mailing list)
How they differ?

Does the to_xml method of the classes array/hash/object is based on
ROXML lib?
As I see in http://roxml.rubyforge.org/#quickstart, roxml needs we
define the class (class Book in the guide) before to convert a object
to xml. Moreover, the method to_xml (when not using "include ROXML")
just accepts any existing object, what is much suitable.

I need to compare and tranfer some records between local and remote
systems periodically. The tables (mysql) has simple varchar/integer/
date/decimal types.
Which type of xml mapping is recommended to achieve this task? ROXML
or pure to_xml method?



Thank you!
81b61875e41eaa58887543635d556fca?d=identicon&s=25 Frederick Cheung (Guest)
on 2009-01-05 21:17
(Received via mailing list)
On 5 Jan 2009, at 20:08, Tom Lobato wrote:

>
roxml is trying to solve a more general problem - if you models aren't
activerecord models then they are not going to have a particularly
useful to_xml on it (the time i used it was generated xml to pass to a
webservice)

It's also pretty handy for parsing incoming xml.

Fred
6fd237f6f40f5afca32aca6ea633f58a?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Lobato (Guest)
on 2009-01-05 21:41
(Received via mailing list)
On 5 jan, 18:16, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com> wrote:
> roxml is trying to solve a more general problem - if you models aren't  
> activerecord models then they are not going to have a particularly  
> useful to_xml on it (the time i used it was generated xml to pass to a  
> webservice)

Sorry my bad english. I`m not sure if I understood your answer.
My model is activerecord based, but has just simple attributes
(strings, integers,
dates). Do you mean I don`t need ROXML in this simple case? The non-
roxml
to_xml/from_xml methods can do the job?
81b61875e41eaa58887543635d556fca?d=identicon&s=25 Frederick Cheung (Guest)
on 2009-01-05 22:01
(Received via mailing list)
On 5 Jan 2009, at 20:40, Tom Lobato wrote:

>
> Sorry my bad english. I`m not sure if I understood your answer.
> My model is activerecord based, but has just simple attributes
> (strings, integers,
> dates). Do you mean I don`t need ROXML in this simple case? The non-
> roxml
> to_xml/from_xml methods can do the job?
>
I would have though to_xml/from_xml would be quite enough here.

Fred
6fd237f6f40f5afca32aca6ea633f58a?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Lobato (Guest)
on 2009-01-05 22:19
(Received via mailing list)
ok, thank you very much!!
I will try it.

Anyway, What are the "more general problem" you said?
81b61875e41eaa58887543635d556fca?d=identicon&s=25 Frederick Cheung (Guest)
on 2009-01-05 22:29
(Received via mailing list)
On 5 Jan 2009, at 21:18, Tom Lobato wrote:

>
> ok, thank you very much!!
> I will try it.
>
> Anyway, What are the "more general problem" you said?
>
Just the more general case of mapping xml fragments to objects.

Fred
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.