Forum: GNU Radio A little help with this please......urgent

5b956b6b52e6bd83ad6da9815f4442a4?d=identicon&s=25 Mir Ali (Guest)
I am mailing this question again because, I didn't get enough help last
time. :-)

My intention here is very different from what gr.file_source() does, so
please take a look at my explanation.
I want to read a byte from a file and then put it on an input stream to
block. If you look at the following code below you will know that I do
want to open a stream from the file to the input of another block. I
want to read a byte of data and then put it on an input stream.

    fil=open("/home/murtuza/t",'r')     # I first open a file to read
    while n<1:
        data =  # then read one byte only
        send_pkt(data) # then send it over the stream to a block that
processes that byte.
        # after this we read the next byte and then send the data to the
input stream.

If you look at program data is read from a file and then
send_pkt() is called. send_pkt() module in calls
"self.packet_transmitter.send_pkt(payload, eof)" which then calls
in mod_pkts. Here, the payload is inserted into the message queue by the
statement self._pkt_input.msgq().insert_tail(msg). I want to do
similar except for the fact that I want to put the unmodified byte in
queue unlike mod_pkts which first uses message_from_string and then
the msg on to the queue.

If this can be done using file_source then can u tell how?

I am working on something that requires me to do this. May be this is
not an
ideal way of doing it but still I want to know if it is possible.

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 03:56:43PM -0600, Mir Ali wrote:
> Hi,
> I am mailing this question again because, I didn't get enough help last
> time. :-)

The easiest path is probably just to make a local copy of mod_pkts and
hack away.  Once you have it working, you can clean it up and figure
out where it really ought to live.