Forum: JRuby JRoR (JRuby 1.1.6) app. cannot load rubygems

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Bb4bdf2b184027bc38d4fb529770cde5?d=identicon&s=25 Wes Gamble (weyus)
on 2009-01-02 22:31
(Received via mailing list)
All,

JRuby 1.1.6
Websphere 6.1

I have a Rails app. that is packaged as a WAR file using Goldspike
1.6.1.

When I try to start this app., I get an error that Rubygems can't be
loaded:

"Rails requires RubyGems >= 0.9.4. Please install RubyGems and try
again: http://rubygems.rubyforge.org"

I have verified that RubyGems appears to be in the jruby-complete-1.6.1
JAR file located in WEB-INF/lib of my application.  See below:

$ jar tvf jruby-complete-1.1.6.jar | grep rubygems
 22179 Wed Dec 17 18:13:44 CST 2008
META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb
     0 Wed Dec 17 18:16:32 CST 2008
META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
  2130 Wed Dec 17 18:13:42 CST 2008
META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/builder.rb
 11321 Wed Dec 17 18:13:46 CST 2008
META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/command.rb
  4151 Wed Dec 17 18:13:42 CST 2008
META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/command_manager.rb
     0 Wed Dec 17 18:16:32 CST 2008
META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/commands/
  1134 Wed Dec 17 18:13:46 CST 2008
META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/commands/build_command.rb

Anyone know why my Rails infrastructure can't see rubygems?

Thanks,
Wes

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
Ede2aa10c6462f1d825143879be59e38?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Oliver Nutter (Guest)
on 2009-01-02 23:01
(Received via mailing list)
Wes Gamble wrote:
> All,
>
> JRuby 1.1.6
> Websphere 6.1
>
> I have a Rails app. that is packaged as a WAR file using Goldspike 1.6.1.
> When I try to start this app., I get an error that Rubygems can't be
> loaded:

Is there a reason you still need to use GoldSpike? To be honest I'm not
surprised it's fallen behind...GoldSpike hasn't been updated in almost a
year, and has been widely superceded by Warbler. Were you the one using
GoldSpike because you're wiring into some existing servlet stuff?

As for why it can't find it...I don't know. We juggled around some
require logic and removed some support for odd jruby home locations
(like ~/.jruby) so perhaps one of those things caused a problem. I
presume this worked with 1.1.5?

- Charlie

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
Bb4bdf2b184027bc38d4fb529770cde5?d=identicon&s=25 Wes Gamble (weyus)
on 2009-01-02 23:07
(Received via mailing list)
Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>
> Is there a reason you still need to use GoldSpike? To be honest I'm
> not surprised it's fallen behind...GoldSpike hasn't been updated in
> almost a year, and has been widely superceded by Warbler. Were you the
> one using GoldSpike because you're wiring into some existing servlet
> stuff?
I was the one using some existing servlet stuff.  Frankly, I spent so
much time trying (and failing) to get some apps. working with Warbler
that I got soured on it.  I suppose I could try once more.
> As for why it can't find it...I don't know. We juggled around some
> require logic and removed some support for odd jruby home locations
> (like ~/.jruby) so perhaps one of those things caused a problem. I
> presume this worked with 1.1.5?
AFAIK, the last time it worked was 1.1.3.  With 1.1.4, I get an error
finding the engines plugin.  I should also try 1.1.5 - it was failing
because of an error on my part.

Seems like Goldspike woudn't have anything to do with how rubygems
itself is found though right?

Wes

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
Ede2aa10c6462f1d825143879be59e38?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Oliver Nutter (Guest)
on 2009-01-02 23:14
(Received via mailing list)
Wes Gamble wrote:
>
> Seems like Goldspike woudn't have anything to do with how rubygems
> itself is found though right?

Well yes and no. It's possible GoldSpike depended on old bugs in our
require/load path searching that have been fixed. It's possible it
expected .jruby support to be intact and that it may have been using a
.jruby dir of yours instead. And it's possible GoldSpike has just
bitrotted...we've changed a lot over the past year.

If there's anything that would make it easier to use Warbler, we should
discuss that. I don't believe anyone's maintaining GoldSpike, and
whatever features you need we should try to migrate over.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
Bb4bdf2b184027bc38d4fb529770cde5?d=identicon&s=25 Wes Gamble (weyus)
on 2009-01-03 00:26
(Received via mailing list)
Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>> because of an error on my part.
>>
>> Seems like Goldspike woudn't have anything to do with how rubygems
>> itself is found though right?
1.1.5 gives me this - which is weird...

1/2/09 17:20:15:216 CST] 00000111 BeanManager   E   <Null Message>

javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException:
org.jruby:type=Runtime,name=1811311606,service=JITCompiler
        at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.RepositorySupport.addMBean(RepositorySupport.java:470)
        at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.internal_addObject(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:1428)
        at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerObject(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:954)
        at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:355)
        at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.registerMBean(JmxMBeanServer.java:515)
        at
org.jruby.management.BeanManager.register(BeanManager.java:69)
        at
org.jruby.management.BeanManager.register(BeanManager.java:29)
        at org.jruby.compiler.JITCompiler.<init>(JITCompiler.java:68)
        at org.jruby.Ruby.<init>(Ruby.java:209)
        at org.jruby.Ruby.newInstance(Ruby.java:162)
        at
org.jruby.javasupport.JavaEmbedUtils.initialize(JavaEmbedUtils.java:85)
        at
org.jruby.javasupport.JavaEmbedUtils.initialize(JavaEmbedUtils.java:75)
        at
org.jruby.webapp.RailsFactory.createRubyRuntime(RailsFactory.java:170)
        at
org.jruby.webapp.RailsFactory.makeObject(RailsFactory.java:91)
        at
org.jruby.webapp.util.CustomObjectPool.addObjectInternal(CustomObjectPool.java:111)
        at
org.jruby.webapp.util.CustomObjectPool.access$200(CustomObjectPool.java:15)
        at
org.jruby.webapp.util.CustomObjectPool$PoolSizeManager.run(CustomObjectPool.java:193)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
Ede2aa10c6462f1d825143879be59e38?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Oliver Nutter (Guest)
on 2009-01-03 00:55
(Received via mailing list)
Wes Gamble wrote:
> 1.1.5 gives me this - which is weird...
>
> 1/2/09 17:20:15:216 CST] 00000111 BeanManager   E   <Null Message>
>
> javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException:
> org.jruby:type=Runtime,name=1811311606,service=JITCompiler

Ahh, IBM JDK. I don't know why it does this, I see it in test runs too.
It doesn't appear to break anything though. Does this actually prevent
something from deploying?

- Charlie

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
Bb4bdf2b184027bc38d4fb529770cde5?d=identicon&s=25 Wes Gamble (weyus)
on 2009-01-03 07:50
(Received via mailing list)
Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> prevent something from deploying?
>
> - Charlie
Oh arse! - it deployed fine, but I just assumed it wouldn't work - the
error being all scary and stuff :).  I'll see if I can run the app.

Thanks for the help - very much appreciated.

Wes

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
Ede2aa10c6462f1d825143879be59e38?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Oliver Nutter (Guest)
on 2009-01-03 08:03
(Received via mailing list)
Wes Gamble wrote:
> Oh arse! - it deployed fine, but I just assumed it wouldn't work - the
> error being all scary and stuff :).  I'll see if I can run the app.
>
> Thanks for the help - very much appreciated.

Yeah, I need to figure out where that's coming from, but at least it's
not fatal.

- Charlie

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.