Forum: Ruby on Rails Where is #put functional test method documented?

Ed437e52d8d6720308720e7e678f3e6d?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Doyle (Guest)
I am trying to figure out why the following test case doesn't work:

  def test_should_allow_admin_to_become_non_admin
    put :update, :id => users(:quentin).id, :quentin => {:admin =>
false}
    assert users(:quentin).admin == false
    assert_redirected_to users_url
  end

For some reason, the "assert users(:quentin).admin == false is failing.
suppose that there are a couple of reasons for this, the most likely one
that occurs to me now that I'm writing this down for all to see (and
laugh
at) is that "users(:quentin)" is not magically querying the test
database to
determine the new value for the "admin" field.  Be that as it may, my
original question still stands...

Where can I find the documentation for the #put method used in
functional
tests?

A more general question for the members of the list is this:

How do _you_ read and search the online documentation?

I keep a tab in my browser open to http://api.rubyonrails.org/.  When I
want
to look at the documentation for "redirect_to", pop over to that tab,
hit
^F, type in redirect_to in the find box, and then hit return until I see
something that looks likely.

There are a couple of problems with this approach.

The first is that http://api.rubyonrails.org displays everything in a
series
of 4 frames, and Firefox always starts its search in the upper left
frame,
this makes it somewhat difficult as I see something that looks like it
might
be what I'm looking for, click on the hyperlink, find out it's not what
I'm
looking for, and have to start back at the beginning of the search.
Admittedly, this might be a problem with Firefox, but it's annoying
nonetheless

The second problem is that searching for something like "put" gets
ridiculous.

So, I'm curious what other folks do.

--wpd
B14575f0ca69f10938fdd67e7156e0e1?d=identicon&s=25 Craig Demyanovich (Guest)
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> that occurs to me now that I'm writing this down for all to see (and laugh
> at) is that "users(:quentin)" is not magically querying the test database to
> determine the new value for the "admin" field.  Be that as it may, my
> original question still stands...

users(:quentin) is instantiating the user based on your users.yml
fixture.
Instead, you'll want to query the database for the user.

> Where can I find the documentation for the #put method used in functional
> tests?

It's in
ActionController::Integration::Session<http://www.railsbrain.com/api/rails-2.2.2/doc/inde...
.

> So, I'm curious what other folks do.

I use RailsBrain <http://www.railsbrain.com/> to read the docs for
Rails. I
like the interface, and I like that it offers multiple versions of the
docs.

Regards,
Craig
Ed437e52d8d6720308720e7e678f3e6d?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Doyle (Guest)

> users(:quentin) is instantiating the user based on your users.yml fixture.
> Instead, you'll want to query the database for the user.

Yeah, that dawned on me as I wrote my email.  But at that point I still
wanted to find a better way to search the documentation.  RailsBrain
looks
like a great find.  Thank you for the tip.

--wpd
E83a82eddd5a2eaba509e7bf26ae13aa?d=identicon&s=25 daybreaker@gmail.com (Guest)
Even though you figured out what was wrong in the middle of posting,
thanks for posting it anyways. Google search indexed this post, and
was one of the first results helping me solve this exact issue.

-Brad