Forum: Ruby on Rails Trouble with MacPorts install, .profile file not created/ need help

67c060f4e550dbbf9f861c3edfe5d027?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Denlinger (pdenlinger)
I have just installed MacPorts 1.7.0 for Leopard using a
downloaded .dmg file. Following the download and installation, I
looked for the .profile file to change the environment variables, but
found that no .profile file was created.

When I tried to do so, I got an error message:
 /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit .profile
2008-12-27 14:19:02.393 TextEdit[47100:10b] *** CFMessagePort:
bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port =
0x5203, name = 'com.apple.TextEdit.ServiceProvider'
See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.

Can anyone tell me what this means, and what I should do to correct
the situation? Should I create a .profile file, and where should I
store it? Should I follow instructions about the normal environment
variables so the path points to /opt/local/ ?

Thank you.
A82ba1167f4d4a8d1de63820e576a87f?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 2:25 PM, paul.denlinger@gmail.com
<paul.denlinger@gmail.com> wrote:
> 0x5203, name = 'com.apple.TextEdit.ServiceProvider'
> See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
>
> Can anyone tell me what this means, and what I should do to correct
> the situation? Should I create a .profile file, and where should I
> store it? Should I follow instructions about the normal environment
> variables so the path points to /opt/local/ ?
>
> Thank you.

Paul,

You might look through the following tutorial:

*
http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2008/01/22/in...

If that doesn't help, you might head to the MacPorts mailing lists for
assistance.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Robby

--
Robby Russell
Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC
design // development // hosting w/Ruby on Rails

http://www.planetargon.com/
http://www.robbyonrails.com/
aim: planetargon

+1 503 445 2457