Forum: Ruby on Rails Deploying Radiant - why can't anything ever just work?

F29dea0c9c59cae430fa70ab70e4c08c?d=identicon&s=25 Ryan Ororie (bodegas411)
on 2008-12-22 04:03
So I have been tinkering with Rails all week - I'm a designer, not a
developer, but I'm looking to expand my knowledge. I created an instance
of Radiant, the cms, and am looking to fiddle with it and then try
putting it on a server.

I have the 'radiant project' created here:
RAILS_ROOT: /Users/rmorourk/Sites/radiant_test

When I use locomotive to point this directory at port 3004, I get the
following error on viewing:

Could not find table 'config'

Although the config table is definitely there.

I used SQLite 3 as the database. I'm assuming, sense I am trying to
access it locally, that it is looking at the development database - my
config/database.yml file looks like this:

development:
  adapter: sqlite3
  database: db/development.sqlite3.db

What am I doing wrong here? Do I have to activate the sqlite somehow?
Any advise would be appreciated.
On Dec 21, 10:03 pm, Ryan Ororie <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
wrote:
[...]
> When I use locomotive to point this directory at port 3004,

Locomotive?  Are you using Tiger?  'Cause if you're using Leopard,
then I would recommend using the Rails installation that's included
with the OS.

> I get the
> following error on viewing:
>
> Could not find table 'config'
[...]
> I'm assuming, sense I am trying to
> access it locally, that it is looking at the development database

Don't assume.  Check.  Select the app in Locomotive, choose Get Info,
and see what it says the run mode is -- development, production, or
test.  It probably *should* be development, but make sure that it
actually *is*.

(If you're not using Locomotive, this is generally controlled by your
RAILS_ENV environment variable.  Also, Locomotive calls them "run
modes", but all other Rails literature calls them environments.)

> - my
> config/database.yml file looks like this:
>
> development:
>   adapter: sqlite3
>   database: db/development.sqlite3.db

I don't know if that's right, since I've not used SQLite.  But the
information I came across on the Web suggests that "database:" should
perhaps be "dbfile:".  Don't take my word for that, though; check with
someone more knowledgeable about using SQLite with Rails.

> What am I doing wrong here? Do I have to activate the sqlite somehow?
> Any advise would be appreciated.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
marnen@marnen.org

> following error on viewing:
>  adapter: sqlite3
>  database: db/development.sqlite3.db
>
> What am I doing wrong here? Do I have to activate the sqlite somehow?
> Any advise would be appreciated.

I'm not familiar with Radiant, but you might try:

$ rake db:migrate

at the command prompt, unless the installation instructions said
something
about creating and initializing the database.

The "rake db:migrate" command will create the database from scratch.

--wpd
34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
Patrick Doyle wrote:

>     I used SQLite 3 as the database. I'm assuming, sense I am trying to
> I'm not familiar with Radiant, but you might try:
>
> $ rake db:migrate
>
> at the command prompt, unless the installation instructions said
> something about creating and initializing the database.
>
> The "rake db:migrate" command will create the database from scratch.

Sorry for the trouble you're experiencing.  Try the Radiant mailing list
- you're likely to get good help there also.  That said, as a general
guideline, you should never really need to run in development (that part
is for developing the CMS itself, not the content).  You should run in
production.

Also, when you do that, make sure you follow the instructions over at
the site.

The documentation is a bit all over the place right now, but is being
reorganized.  Take a look at: http://wiki.radiantcms.org/Summer_Reboot
for bits of documentation that will help.

Also, specifically see:
http://wiki.radiantcms.org/Create_your_first_Radiant_project (with
video, I believe) and then see:
http://wiki.radiantcms.org/Getting_Started

Make sure that you're on Ruby 1.8.6 - there are still a few kinks with
Ruby 1.8.7.

Cheers,
Mohit.
12/26/2008 | 4:28 PM.