Forum: Ruby on Rails RoR IDE

44391f94143d129bdfdcd8b52aa51674?d=identicon&s=25 Schalk Neethling (Guest)
Hi there everyone,

I was wondering, what would you consider to be the best RoR IDE
especially for Windows? I have been using Aptana with RadRails for a
while now and for the most part it is working well. I have tried my hand
at Netbeans 6.5 and have not really made my mind up on that one yet.

I would love to here your thoughts on what best Rails IDE is out there
at the moment.

Regards,
Schalk
On Dec 20, 10:38 am, Schalk Neethling <volume4.sch...@gmail.com>
wrote:
[...]
> I would love to here your thoughts on what best Rails IDE is out there
> at the moment.

I recently switched from Eclipse/Aptana/RadRails to jEdit.  I find
that jEdit is powerful, but doesn't feel as heavy as Eclipse.  There's
Ruby-specific setup information for jEdit available at
http://marnen.livejournal.com/23723.html .

> Regards,
> Schalk

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
marnen@marnen.org

http://www.jetbrains.com/ruby/index.html

it really depends on what you want and need.
90e7e04c730e1b747288051af34c3bb0?d=identicon&s=25 rp8 -_- (rp8)
on 2008-12-20 19:36
Schalk Neethling wrote:
> Hi there everyone,
>
> I was wondering, what would you consider to be the best RoR IDE
> especially for Windows? I have been using Aptana with RadRails for a
> while now and for the most part it is working well. I have tried my hand
> at Netbeans 6.5 and have not really made my mind up on that one yet.

I use rails.vim. On Windows, you need cygwin.

I have tried all IDEs and settled down on rails.vim. It's long circle
and ended at vi finally:-).

Regards,

rp8
=======================
http://lun.competo.com/

> I would love to here your thoughts on what best Rails IDE is out there
> at the moment.
>
> Regards,
> Schalk
6f9418c7978f7f3116b70fc08682161f?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Wagner (beaucoder)
on 2008-12-20 22:57
rp8 -_- wrote:
> Schalk Neethling wrote:
>> Hi there everyone,
>>
>> I was wondering, what would you consider to be the best RoR IDE
>> especially for Windows? I have been using Aptana with RadRails for a
>> while now and for the most part it is working well. I have tried my hand
>> at Netbeans 6.5 and have not really made my mind up on that one yet.
>
> I use rails.vim. On Windows, you need cygwin.
>
> I have tried all IDEs and settled down on rails.vim. It's long circle
> and ended at vi finally:-).
>>
>> I would love to here your thoughts on what best Rails IDE is out there
>> at the moment.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Schalk

Here's a great review:

http://lifeonrails.org/2007/8/30/netbeans-the-best...

I have tried: Rails, Scite, JEdit, Aptana, Eclipse, Netbeans 2.0, 4.?,
E-TextMate. Also PHP IDE, DreamWeaver, Sun Java Studio Creator and a few
others.

NetBeans 6.5 has a lot. The review above covers it well.

In NB 6.5 I found excellent code completion, context-available code
documentation, hints, in-line error detection, debugging, logging, SQL
tools, plugins, tons of gems, web servers and excellent support,
tutorials and, again, documentation at the NB sites.

Will be very curious to see other opinions.

Ken
93982dd3e26cfa77fc82a85ba38058db?d=identicon&s=25 Edson Lopes (Guest)
Notepad++ for a light & fast & simple coding...

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/br/site.htm
4b0889adddec0b9bae5435e0c233b1e3?d=identicon&s=25 Davo (Guest)
I just finished a 30 day trial of 'e' for Windows...
It has some nice features, but is not over-whelming!

So have gone back to Netbeans IDE 6.5
( BTW:  Patch #1 has just been released for it).

I don't use it for everything - I use 'Console' to do generation &
running server.

HTH -Dave

On Dec 21, 12:38 am, Schalk Neethling <volume4.sch...@gmail.com>
2e50daceb104d23d2cf2be22ec50751d?d=identicon&s=25 Cai Yin (trail)
I use RoRED on Windows It it nice

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Schalk Neethling
<volume4.schalk@gmail.com
A470d209a6a3c30ad929c4907995a7d0?d=identicon&s=25 Near Cruise (nearcruise)
on 2008-12-21 07:20
Cai Yin wrote:
> I use RoRED on Windows It it nice
>
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Schalk Neethling
> <volume4.schalk@gmail.com

Netbean 6.5 has strong power in rails coding.
You can try it free.

It can automaticly generate code to help building structure.
53be54e5db4dc58e4980db5a8255621b?d=identicon&s=25 Harold (Guest)
I second vim with rails.vim, and a few other plugins:
matchit
camelcasemotion
fuzzyfinder and fuzzyfind_textmate
snippetsEmu
vcscommand

and either vividchalk or railscasts as a colorscheme.

Vim is definitely worth the learning curve, but you need to invest
some time before you realize how effective it is. I couldn't go back
to anything else at this point...

On Dec 21, 1:20 am, Near Cruise <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
93368f94c86dd0d2511e079ce0de45b2?d=identicon&s=25 Mike (Guest)
NetBeans + jVi plugin is just about perfect
F48118fe74b0c7f6fd82a0ee422fa34e?d=identicon&s=25 snacktime (Guest)
I used vi/vim for years, and only recently gave a full IDE a real
honest try.  Not sure I would call vim an IDE, although it's gotten a
lot closer to one then it used to be.  I settled on using Netbeans.
There are some things I really like about radrails, but they force
some stuff into their ide like jaxer and their cloud menu's that
clutter up the interface, and you cannot disable them, which really
irritated me.  Eclipse gives you more fine grained control over the
editor.  I like how netbeans indents erb in html, better then radrails
imo.  Radrails also seemed less stable, it's locked up on me far more
then netbeans. Aptana does a bunch of tcp connections to their servers
when it starts up, which can cause issues and also irritates me to no
end.

Netbeans also has a logical view which is pretty nice.  You see top
level folders for views, controllers, etc.., it hides the app dir from
you.  Or you can use the files view if you prefer.  Code completion in
Eclipse is better.  It's faster, and netbeans still has a nagging bug
where code completion will turn itself on for no reason.  I don't use
code completion anyways so it's not a feature I pay much attention to,
other then making sure I can disable it.

The radrails ruby integration is better and it's one of the things I
do like about radrails.  File tail view is very nice also, which
netbeans doesn't have.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you use a windows ide, you must
have some sort of staging server.  I've been surprised how well most
of the ruby gems just work on windows and unix, but you will still run
into stuff that doesn't work right when you deploy from windows to
unix.

Chris
3810ed540a74a61834a041aef1a4334a?d=identicon&s=25 BMorearty (Guest)
I've tried Aptana/Eclipse and NetBeans. They're both good but I think
NetBeans is significantly better. But make sure to set the -J-Xmx
parameter to prevent it from using too much RAM. I set mine to -J-
Xmx200m (200MB max).

And I agree with the comment about Notepad++ for lightweight editing.
It is by far the best lightweight editor (a.k.a. Notepad recplacement)
on Windows. And it's free.

Brian