Forum: JRuby Standard Console for GUI interactive applications?

7ece60b3b5bb235d1b6df89727ca6cf7?d=identicon&s=25 Maurice Diamantini (Guest)
(re)bonjour,

I there a standard and maintained way to add a JRuby console
class for building interactive GUI applications (like in Matlab or other
CAD tools).
Such a class could be used as an advanced text (or one line field)
widget wich could be connected to a user Binding (no need for a
user to know all the objects used for building the Jruby or Java
application itself).

I know there was some Console application several years ago,
but not sure if it could be use as a library neither if it is maintained
with current JRuby.

-- Maurice

On 18 Dec 2008, at 07:46, Maurice Diamantini wrote:

> I know there was some Console application several years ago,
> but not sure if it could be use as a library neither if it is
> maintained
> with current JRuby.
>
> -- Maurice

Hi Maurice,

Try looking at bin/jirb_swing, which is probably what you're thinking
of. What this does is:

Set up a frame and text pane.
Hook the text pane up to a jruby runtime, so it acts as an interactive
console with readline.
Runs IRB.

Hopefully much of that is useful to you.

Damian

> Hopefully much of that is useful to you.
Thank you very much Damian, I didn't see this script!
I'll have to study it while (re)learnig java.
I understood that awt was obsolete, but it seems yet quite often used in
swing
programm!
It help (and I should look better in the jruby distribution ;-)
-- Maurice