Forum: Ruby on Rails action_mailer in windows -can't get to work

0102cd0bebdafb4828ff20eb140432a4?d=identicon&s=25 thomasalbert (Guest)
Newbie problem - I am on windows and can't get action mailer to send
an email. There are no error messages, the command line says "Sent
mail to " and then lists the contents. I have done lots of seacrhing
on the web but I am missing something. Does Rails talk directly to
mail.aapt.net.au (in my case) or is there a mail client or something
that should be on windows? There is no activity on my modem when I try
to send the email. Tom.
047b3e47de8c31468165404d19030653?d=identicon&s=25 David Kleman (davve)
on 2008-12-18 12:39
thomasalbert wrote:
> Newbie problem - I am on windows and can't get action mailer to send
> an email. There are no error messages, the command line says "Sent
> mail to " and then lists the contents. I have done lots of seacrhing
> on the web but I am missing something. Does Rails talk directly to
> mail.aapt.net.au (in my case) or is there a mail client or something
> that should be on windows? There is no activity on my modem when I try
> to send the email. Tom.

Im having the same problem.
I have installed action_mailer_tls plugin but still the same.
Hard to solve for me because I have no idea what exactly is going on.
Any help very welcome.

Im using Rails 2.1.2, this is in my environment.rb:

ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp
ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {
   :address  => "smtp.gmail.com",
   :port  => 587,
   :domain => "gmail.com",
   :user_name  => "blablabla",
   :password  => "hackme",
   :authentication  => :plain
   }
988e49987971369d4903c02b3269c8b2?d=identicon&s=25 athem (Guest)
David Kleman wrote:
> I have installed action_mailer_tls plugin but still the same.
>    :user_name  => "blablabla",
>    :password  => "hackme",
>    :authentication  => :plain
>    }
> --

It's difficult to debug this sort of problem (it would be nice if
there were a mechanism to trap and view errors returned by mail
servers talking to ActionMailer in a rails app).

A couple of things to look at:

Try using the full email address for the user_name:

:user_name => 'blablabla@gmail.com"

Also, look carefully at your development.log file for error messages
returned by the outgoing mail server in the interaction between the
mail server and your program.  You can also try to run in production
mode (uncomment the line ENV['RAILS_ENV'] ||= 'production' in config/
environment.rb) - sometimes you can catch some error messages in
production mode that don't appear when running in development mode.