Forum: Ruby on Rails include path gems hostgator

39a8b48aca70346605c630851d1aee3a?d=identicon&s=25 Luca Roma (romaluca)
on 2008-12-17 19:57
i buyed a web hosting. i installed some gems.
in the hostgator's instructions there is write:

Using Your Ruby Gem(s)

You will need to add /home/nerto/ruby/gems to the include path.
You can do this by adding the following code to your script:

$:.push("/home/nerto/ruby/gems")

but i don't understand where i must to put it

Can you help me?
thanks
A54de796d6f6b8c08dc98bfbe351afdb?d=identicon&s=25 Aldo Urem (webmacho)
on 2009-05-24 19:44
Luca Roma wrote:
> i buyed a web hosting. i installed some gems.
> in the hostgator's instructions there is write:
>
> Using Your Ruby Gem(s)
>
> You will need to add /home/nerto/ruby/gems to the include path.
> You can do this by adding the following code to your script:
>
> $:.push("/home/nerto/ruby/gems")
>
> but i don't understand where i must to put it
>
> Can you help me?
> thanks

Same problem here.

I don't know where to put it?
Hostgator's instructions are seriously incorrect, and will cause some
gems to fail in odd ways.

You'll want something like:

export GEM_HOME=”/home/nerto/ruby/gems”
export GEM_PATH=”$GEM_HOME:/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8″
export PATH=”$GEM_HOME/bin:$PATH”

Place those commands in a file loaded by the shell (.bash_profile or
equivalent).

Otherwise, locally installed gems won't be able to find their
dependencies.

--Matt Jones

On Dec 17 2008, 2:57 pm, Luca Roma <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>