Forum: Ruby Ruby methods and Properties

358a4fdb8939d8fc7ee6a439174c0446?d=identicon&s=25 Talib Hussain (talib)
on 2008-12-16 07:48
Dear Experts,

I am new to Ruby, could you please let me know where I can find list of
Classes, objects,properties and methods used in Ruby scripting.

Foe example: method1(arg1, arg2... argN) with small example snippets to
use these methods and properties smiliar to provided by Microsoft (MSDN)
87349a7a95b3f2e83c20194ef122885c?d=identicon&s=25 Einar Magnús Boson (Guest)
I really liked this site. Thank you whoever it was that posted it here
before! :)

http://tinyurl.com/6jfm7q

On 16.12.2008, at 06:40 , Talib Hussain wrote:

> --

einarmagnus
Talib Hussain wrote:
> I am new to Ruby, could you please let me know where I can find list of
> Classes, objects,properties and methods used in Ruby scripting.
>
> Foe example: method1(arg1, arg2... argN) with small example snippets to
> use these methods and properties smiliar to provided by Microsoft (MSDN)

There is built-in help: just type ri methodname at the shell prompt, or
within irb try

   irb_help "methodname"

(with the quotes)

For something to browse, try
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

in particular select the sections "Built-in Classes and Methods", and
"Standard Library". This version of the book is quite old and is for
ruby 1.6, but that just means you're missing some new classes and
methods. The second edition (for ruby 1.8) and third edition (for ruby
1.9) are available to buy as either PDF or paper books from
www.pragprog.com