Forum: Ruby How to create a music player using ruby

E105fb656421da01c552eaefb127f8de?d=identicon&s=25 Tejaswini Pedapati (tejaswini)
on 2008-12-15 10:25
I want to create a music player like itunes or media player using ruby.
Is it possible? How do i go about? I tried to google but could not find
what I wanted.
Thanks,
Tejaswini
59c436d6801db18313ff1b27369bc8dd?d=identicon&s=25 Vladimir Fekete (Guest)

 it depends whether you want to create only GUI for it or you want to
make
it actually play songs. For GUI you need only "normal" libraries. For
playing you have to find library which supports formats such as mp3,
ogg,
wma,... and supports play, pauste, stop, seek, e.t.c. and this is maybe
harder.

Cheers,

 V.
F52a217f68b0d4db49ce2ceb06f79691?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Fenton (Guest)
Tejaswini Pedapati wrote:
> I want to create a music player like itunes or media player using ruby.
> Is it possible? How do i go about? I tried to google but could not find
> what I wanted.

wxRuby (http://wxruby.rubyforge.org) includes the Wx::MediaCtrl which is
a GUI component that can play mp3s, mp4s, quicktime etc.

http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/doc/mediactrl.html

You can then create other GUI controls to list tracks, control playback
or whatever. A fairly basic example is included in the wxRuby
distribution.

http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/wxruby2/samp...

I would expect that the other large GUI libraries (Gnome, QT) have
similar components so you may want to look into them as well.

8f433724b1f98215f69bf97dfbfa73d7?d=identicon&s=25 jonty (Guest)
<head>
</head>
Check out Shoes - the simple-video sample plays virtually anything -
I'm planning to beef it up as it plays more formats than my media
player classic or windows media player!<br>
Tejaswini Pedapati wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">I want to create a music player like itunes or media
player using ruby.
Is it possible? How do i go about? I tried to google but could not find
what I wanted.
Thanks,
Tejaswini
  </pre>
  <pre wrap="">
<hr size="4" width="90%">

Checked by AVG - <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.avg.com">http://www.avg.com</a>
14/12/2008 12:28

  </pre>
5b972395a92333843018b4add8af0437?d=identicon&s=25 Damián M. González (igorjorobus)
on 2012-06-01 23:38
Now I'm asking myself the same question and have no answer from my
inner. I'm using FXRuby to develop a desktop application and i want to
add in some way a music player which can reproduce music from a stream
on the internet. FXRuby does not provide any class or way to do
this(I've really looked inside) so I was thinking that maybe exist a
library that I can insert in some way in the Model part of my app,
because
the View part is covered: just a few buttons and widgets and got it
working, but I need the core functionality of a music player, any help
will be appreciated, thank you fellows.
C608970872a3048fd3077c001f44929b?d=identicon&s=25 Lars Haugseth (Guest)
On 06/01/2012 11:38 PM, Damián M. González wrote:
> Now I'm asking myself the same question and have no answer from my
> inner. I'm using FXRuby to develop a desktop application and i want to
> add in some way a music player which can reproduce music from a stream
> on the internet. FXRuby does not provide any class or way to do
> this(I've really looked inside) so I was thinking that maybe exist a
> library that I can insert in some way in the Model part of my app,
> because
> the View part is covered: just a few buttons and widgets and got it
> working, but I need the core functionality of a music player, any help
> will be appreciated, thank you fellows.

Have you checked out the SDL wrappers, like rubysdl or rubysdl-ffi? They
might cover your needs, though I'm unsure if they support streaming.
5b972395a92333843018b4add8af0437?d=identicon&s=25 Damián M. González (igorjorobus)
on 2012-06-02 05:38
Wow I didn't know about that wrappers, thank you, very usefull! I will
explore...
5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
on 2012-06-02 06:08
hey there -

  gtk2 (gnome2) has gstreamer built in, which works nicely for playing
local files and streaming.

  here's the audio player i worked out with gtk2 and shoes:

  homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/gswax0/home

  gem: https://rubygems.org/gems/gswax

  source: https://github.com/lljk/gsWax

  - j
5b972395a92333843018b4add8af0437?d=identicon&s=25 Damián M. González (igorjorobus)
on 2012-06-02 18:00
Well that's very very nice lljk, good work! I'll consider that option
thanks for answer.