Forum: Ruby Tables word problem in Ruby

Bf7ae4d3ada1ba5b5ac332ff6875e1a6?d=identicon&s=25 Hai anh Le (dikdikdik)
on 2008-12-13 03:54
My problem is about table in Word. With Ruby I can access, modify, save
as... word document to txt document. But I don't find the code to work
with tables. I see that every tables is destroyed its format if I save
as word format-> txt format. Have anybody know about the issue ? I only
want the code detect tables and maintain it. If unfortunately, we have
no way maintain, we can remove all tables  from txt document (because
it's not necessary)
Bfa670ef2303deb7dec5a8027367b30b?d=identicon&s=25 David Mullet (mully)
on 2008-12-13 14:52
Hai anh Le wrote:
> My problem is about table in Word. With Ruby I can access, modify, save
> as... word document to txt document. But I don't find the code to work
> with tables. I see that every tables is destroyed its format if I save
> as word format-> txt format. Have anybody know about the issue ? I only
> want the code detect tables and maintain it. If unfortunately, we have
> no way maintain, we can remove all tables  from txt document (because
> it's not necessary)

My first thought is that you could convert your tables to tab-delimited
text prior to saving the document. This can be done by calling the
ConvertToText method on each table, passing it a value of 1
(wdSeparateByTabs):

Where doc is your Word document object:

  for table in doc.Content.Tables
      table.ConvertToText(1)
  end

Does that help?

David

http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com
http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/search/label/word
Bf7ae4d3ada1ba5b5ac332ff6875e1a6?d=identicon&s=25 Hai anh Le (dikdikdik)
on 2008-12-15 04:53
Hi David

Thank very much for your help. I test both VBA code in word document and
Ruby code. The result is very good :)

I have small query. I want to read word document, convert it to plain
text and display in website, then find some word follow special
requirement (don't find in tables). So I have idea that I will convert
word document to plain text; mark begin, end point of tables by some
special symbol. It help me to recognize and don't search in table area.
Your blog is very useful. I have found many information in the past. I
find the code to add some characters into word document but I can't
search more information in order to working with tables. Do you know
about the way to recognize begin and end of tables?

I want to display table with border(e.g. box border). And are you have
any way to do it?

Hai Anh

Ps : Can I contact with you by email?

David Mullet wrote:
> My first thought is that you could convert your tables to tab-delimited
> text prior to saving the document. This can be done by calling the
> ConvertToText method on each table, passing it a value of 1
> (wdSeparateByTabs):
>
> Where doc is your Word document object:
>
>   for table in doc.Content.Tables
>       table.ConvertToText(1)
>   end
>
> Does that help?
>
> David
>
> http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com
> http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/search/label/word
Bf7ae4d3ada1ba5b5ac332ff6875e1a6?d=identicon&s=25 Hai anh Le (dikdikdik)
on 2008-12-16 03:28
Anyone?