Forum: RSpec cucumber features HTML output bug with more than 100 steps

08fbedeb4ba773a4861c2537ee5c95d6?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Molitor (Guest)
I'm having the following problem:

With the format as html, the output of cucumber stops coloring
successful
steps green after step #100.  This last line in the HTML is:

    <script type="text/javascript">stepPassed(100)</script>

Steps 101 -n are colored grey.  The <body> tag is not closed but all
steps
are displayed.  When running with 'format --pretty' everything works
fine
and all steps are colored green.  This is happening with jruby 1.1.4 on
OS X
and RedHat Linux.

Any ideas?  Could this be a bug?

Steve
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Steve Molitor
<stevemolitor@gmail.com>wrote:

> and RedHat Linux.
>
> Any ideas?  Could this be a bug?

It could. Please raise a ticket and attach the generated HTML.
http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/get-in-touch

Aslak
77dae8923911b83d3d4e1fbb22d95cd8?d=identicon&s=25 Emmanuel Pinault (Guest)
Hi

So I built a custom formatter as the default html provided seems to
lack few information (like number of scenarios that passed,failed,
skipped ..)

I cannot seem to load my custom scenario

I called it my_formatter.rb and class is MyFormatter.

I tried cucumber -r my_formatter mytest.feature
I tried cucumber -r my mytest.feature

and no matter what I am getting the help menu with invalid format...

also, is there a place to understand all the available hooks and order
they are called? Looking at the html, pretty and progress , I can see
a lot of available hooks with some that requires to call an accept
method...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Emmanuel
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Emmanuel Pinault
<seatmanu@gmail.com>wrote:

> I tried cucumber -r my mytest.feature
>
> and no matter what I am getting the help menu with invalid format...

Is the explanation of --format not clear? Have you tried:

cucumber -r my_formatter -f MyFormatter mytest.feature

> also, is there a place to understand all the available hooks and order they
> are called? Looking at the html, pretty and progress , I can see a lot of
> available hooks with some that requires to call an accept method...

What do you mean by hooks? This?
http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/hooks

#accept is part of the internal API to traverse the internal structure
of
features. It's using the visitor pattern. Are you familiar with that?

Aslak
77dae8923911b83d3d4e1fbb22d95cd8?d=identicon&s=25 Emmanuel Pinault (Guest)

> Is the explanation of --format not clear? Have you tried:
>
> cucumber -r my_formatter -f MyFormatter mytest.feature

Yes, I tried that too and it is not working still. I started to digg
in the cli.rb and clearly there is a registration process happening in
the build_formatter_broadcaster.
But somehow it is not finding my formatter .. trying to debug it more

> also, is there a place to understand all the available hooks and
> order they are called? Looking at the html, pretty and progress , I
> can see a lot of available hooks with some that requires to call an
> accept method...
>
> What do you mean by hooks? This? http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/hooks

Sorry I should have been more clear about the hooks.. I meant the
formatter hooks. I see the main one used in the pretty_formatter and
that are called by the executor. But It seems in the html_formatter
that you are even using some other hook (likely those are called
during the tree parsing ... just a guess) but cannot see all the one
that are available and when. I am actually writing formatter to
understand the order of calls.

> #accept is part of the internal API to traverse the internal
> structure of features. It's using the visitor pattern. Are you
> familiar with that?
Yes  I am and notice you use that pattern but I am not familiar with
treetop. But seems a bit complicated for a custom reporter to have to
mess with that. the HTML Report clearly will break without those calls
at the right place...
so a simple diagram would hel understanding how calls are made. Once I
am able to rrun that custom report, I can try to make one and send it
to you to add to the wiki

Thanks

Emmannuel
77dae8923911b83d3d4e1fbb22d95cd8?d=identicon&s=25 Emmanuel Pinault (Guest)
OK, I think I figured out the problem.

I had the following

module Cucumber
   module Formatters
     class MyFormatter

As soon I as removed it from that module, then it started to work. I
am not seeing different call and steps in the visitor printing ...
maybe a nice simple example of create a formatter would have helped
:)

thanks

Emmanuek
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 1:22 AM, Emmanuel Pinault
<seatmanu@gmail.com>wrote:

> http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/hooks
>
> #accept is part of the internal API to traverse the internal structure of
> features. It's using the visitor pattern. Are you familiar with that?
>
> Yes  I am and notice you use that pattern but I am not familiar with
> treetop. But seems a bit complicated for a custom reporter to have to mess
> with that. the

You're right. And one of my first goals is to make it simpler. I started
investigate a new internal design for Cucumber today that will make
several
things easier - among them custom formatters. More info as I make
progress.

Aslak
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 1:37 AM, Emmanuel Pinault
<seatmanu@gmail.com>wrote:

> am not seeing different call and steps in the visitor printing ...
> maybe a nice simple example of create a formatter would have helped
> :)

Did you try -f Cucumber::Formatters::MyFormatter ?
That should have worked.
77dae8923911b83d3d4e1fbb22d95cd8?d=identicon&s=25 Emmanuel Pinault (Guest)

> Did you try -f Cucumber::Formatters::MyFormatter ?
> That should have worked.

  Yep works as well. Now that I have all the different possible hooks
printed and ordering of events,. I can work on creating my template :)
If you are interested I ll send you some of the improvments. I am
using a combination of rspec and cucumber as both have good
information style but could be improved slightly

Emmanuel