Forum: Ruby on Rails free ruby on rails hosting?

Fdb488647484e40f785dde7134afc6d1?d=identicon&s=25 Heinz Strunk (cojones)
on 2008-12-11 21:47
Hey,

does anyone know any free ror webspace? I don't wanna have my computer
running 24/7 for some small websites.
Aad37b5f7116c8d1f547d23b37566032?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Donald (destiney)

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=free+ror+webspace

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/

On Dec 11, 2:47 pm, Heinz Strunk <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
Fdb488647484e40f785dde7134afc6d1?d=identicon&s=25 Heinz Strunk (cojones)
on 2008-12-11 22:59
Greg Donald wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Heinz Strunk
> <rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:
>> does anyone know any free ror webspace? I don't wanna have my computer
>> running 24/7 for some small websites.
>
> http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=free+ror+webspace
>

> --
> Greg Donald
> http://destiney.com/

I of course tried google first but nothing found...

Maybe that's the only option if there's no free ror webspace.
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bobnation (Guest)
The issue with Ruby on Rails is that it is not simple a language, it
really is a domain-specific language with its own requirements. Rails
is a framework and so it does not follow the same sorts of setups as
simply running PHP would.

I still recommend looking for a cheap VPS and rolling your own from
there. I think you would be happier in the end.

On Dec 11, 3:59 pm, Heinz Strunk <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
6d3c187a8b3ef53b08e3e7e8572c4fea?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy McAnally (Guest)
It actually does allow the same setup now thanks to Passenger.
Dreamhost is proof of that.

--Jeremy

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Bobnation <boblmartens@gmail.com>
wrote:
> wrote:
>> >http://destiney.com/
>>
>> I of course tried google first but nothing found...
>>
>> Maybe that's the only option if there's no free ror webspace.
>> --

http://jeremymcanally.com/
http://entp.com/
http://omgbloglol.com

My books:
http://manning.com/mcanally/
http://humblelittlerubybook.com/ (FREE!)
Fac81a9d95c81d817a2debb6f717f3ac?d=identicon&s=25 Sazima (Guest)
Heinz,

Pay for a cheap Passenger host and you'll be happier in the end.
Guaranteed!

Cheers, Sazima

On Dec 11, 9:54 pm, "Jeremy McAnally" <jeremymcana...@gmail.com>
1b53084580b2e7f4de3b6b67ec367622?d=identicon&s=25 Philipe Farias (Guest)
You can use Heroku (http://heroku.com/). It's a free cloud hosting
that works just fine.
1b53084580b2e7f4de3b6b67ec367622?d=identicon&s=25 Philipe Farias (Guest)
You can use Heroku (http://heroku.com/). It's a free cloud hosting
that works just fine.
28112073b50be47bdce746098988ae55?d=identicon&s=25 Samuel Sternhagen (samatoms)
on 2010-10-04 05:43
Greg Donald wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Heinz Strunk
> <rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:
>> does anyone know any free ror webspace? I don't wanna have my computer
>> running 24/7 for some small websites.
>
> http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=free+ror+webspace
>

> --
> Greg Donald
> http://destiney.com/
Forums are here for people to ask questions.

Now you look like a douche every time someone searches for free RoR
hosting.

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=douche

Sam
01cc74e3257c8bcc3e4ae13274c01c8a?d=identicon&s=25 shyam mohan (Guest)
Hi..

Have u tried
Heroku.com?

Regards
Shyam
+91-971-618-9650
shyam.heroku.com
Fdb488647484e40f785dde7134afc6d1?d=identicon&s=25 Heinz Strunk (cojones)
on 2010-10-04 15:17
Thanks, will try that!
Db7238007950074e9e73b76a81910406?d=identicon&s=25 tonypm (Guest)
> Forums are here for people to ask questions.
>
> Now you look like a douche every time someone searches for free RoR
> hosting.

Actually, I would have said that the forums were for people to get
answers, not much point asking a question if no-one is going to
provide a useful answer.

I have found most of my questions answered by searching the forum and
looking at responses to previous questions - so that mostly I have not
had to ask the question myself.  In fact I learned to use ruby on
rails that way .

This forum used to excel in a) the quality of responses, depth and
helpfulness AND b) politeness and patience.

Sadly these things seem to be getting eroded.  It would be nice if we
could keep to being polite and user friendly and provide responses
that have useful content.  Remember, if you give a helpful answer, you
haven't solved just a single user's query, you have provided
documentation for many others when the search the forum in the
future.  If you can't resist saying "read the docs" or "it has been
answered in another post", then at least have the decency to point to
the post or reference with a proper link - otherwise wouldn't it just
be better to say nothing.

I have been feeling these things for several weeks now, and my
disappointment in the rails community has been growing.  This post
just tipped the balance so I felt I had to make a comment.

with very best intentions
Tonypm
7d0a2d37110d3bc52599e6d4c8d625db?d=identicon&s=25 MarcRic (Guest)
Hi Tony and others.

Please keep patience. The RoR community is more then that.

Time to time hosting services are questioned on many RoR groups. Here
in Brazil or elsewhere this is a recurrent subject.

It is not exactly free, but may help e few Google searches.

In my blog (http://marcricblog.blogspot.com/), there is a link (in the
very beginning) to a hosting ranking company.

There is a specific RoR session.

I suggest a close look.

--
MarcRic
www.marcric.com
tonypm wrote:

> Actually, I would have said that the forums were for people to get
> answers, not much point asking a question if no-one is going to
> provide a useful answer.
>
> I have found most of my questions answered by searching the forum and
> looking at responses to previous questions - so that mostly I have not
> had to ask the question myself.  In fact I learned to use ruby on
> rails that way .
>
> This forum used to excel in a) the quality of responses, depth and
> helpfulness AND b) politeness and patience.
>
> Sadly these things seem to be getting eroded.  It would be nice if we
> could keep to being polite and user friendly and provide responses
> that have useful content.  Remember, if you give a helpful answer, you
> haven't solved just a single user's query, you have provided
> documentation for many others when the search the forum in the
> future.  If you can't resist saying "read the docs" or "it has been
> answered in another post", then at least have the decency to point to
> the post or reference with a proper link - otherwise wouldn't it just
> be better to say nothing.
>
> I have been feeling these things for several weeks now, and my
> disappointment in the rails community has been growing.  This post
> just tipped the balance so I felt I had to make a comment.
>
> with very best intentions
> Tonypm

Thanks Tony! I just ignored that post since it's the opposite of
helpful.

Will check out your blog, Marc. Thanks!