Forum: Ruby Rhodes - a microframework for building native mobile device applications

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
A7c1482d55fe83641544d4273a2cadf3?d=identicon&s=25 Adam (Guest)
on 2008-12-11 21:25
(Received via mailing list)
The Rhodes framework is an open source Ruby-based platform for
building locally executing, device-optimized mobile applications. It
is similar in concept to MVC frameworks such as Rails, Merb and
Camping but much lighter weight (and hence executable on a mobile
device) than any of these. Along the way of course we had to implement
Ruby for these device operating systems (iPhone, Windows Mobile and
RIM).

In general developer productivity is much higher in Rhodes than
writing to diverse native device operating systems and APIs since most
of your UI customization can be done in HTML templates (ERB files).
Rhodes also provides access to native device capabilities such as GPS
and PIM data via an extended set of tags (e.g. <geolocation/>).

These applications are also optimized for interacting with hosted
enterprise app (SaaS) backends . That is it allows mobile applications
to work offline with synced local data by embedding a client for
RhoSync. The Rhodes source tree contains sample apps for SugarCRM and
Siebel Field Service and we will be providing a mobile interface to
Basecamp soon as well.

Rhodes is initially available for iPhone, Windows Mobile and Research
in Motion (Blackberry) smartphones. Support for Symbian and Android
devices is under development.
4dea430d31b993abaf41cd9b54f8128d?d=identicon&s=25 Avdi Grimm (avdi)
on 2008-12-11 21:28
(Received via mailing list)
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Adam <adam@rhomobile.com> wrote:
> The Rhodes framework is an open source Ruby-based platform for
> building locally executing, device-optimized mobile applications. It
> is similar in concept to MVC frameworks such as Rails, Merb and
> Camping but much lighter weight (and hence executable on a mobile
> device) than any of these. Along the way of course we had to implement
> Ruby for these device operating systems (iPhone, Windows Mobile and
> RIM).

URL?

--
Avdi

Home: http://avdi.org
Developer Blog: http://avdi.org/devblog/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/avdi
Journal: http://avdi.livejournal.com
A7c1482d55fe83641544d4273a2cadf3?d=identicon&s=25 Adam (Guest)
on 2008-12-11 21:35
(Received via mailing list)
On Dec 11, 12:20 pm, Avdi Grimm <a...@avdi.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Adam <a...@rhomobile.com> wrote:
> > The Rhodes framework is an open source Ruby-based platform for
> > building locally executing, device-optimized mobile applications. It
> > is similar in concept to MVC frameworks such as Rails, Merb and
> > Camping but much lighter weight (and hence executable on a mobile
> > device) than any of these. Along the way of course we had to implement
> > Ruby for these device operating systems (iPhone, Windows Mobile and
> > RIM).
http://github.com/rhomobile/rhodes/tree/master (and linked from
rhomobile.com of course)
6d3c187a8b3ef53b08e3e7e8572c4fea?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy McAnally (Guest)
on 2008-12-11 21:48
(Received via mailing list)
Is this allowable by the terms of the iPhone developer program (i.e.,
that whole business about disallowing interpreters)?

If so, awesome.

--Jeremy

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Adam <adam@rhomobile.com> wrote:
> of your UI customization can be done in HTML templates (ERB files).
> Rhodes is initially available for iPhone, Windows Mobile and Research
> in Motion (Blackberry) smartphones. Support for Symbian and Android
> devices is under development.
>
>



--
http://jeremymcanally.com/
http://entp.com/
http://omgbloglol.com

My books:
http://manning.com/mcanally/
http://humblelittlerubybook.com/ (FREE!)
A7c1482d55fe83641544d4273a2cadf3?d=identicon&s=25 Adam (Guest)
on 2008-12-12 03:45
(Received via mailing list)
It is.  All the code is precompiled and we disallow things like
dynamic evaluation (e.g. eval)
Bf6862e2a409078e13a3979c00bba1d6?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Seidman (Guest)
on 2008-12-12 04:28
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 05:40:28AM +0900, Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> Is this allowable by the terms of the iPhone developer program (i.e.,
> that whole business about disallowing interpreters)?

To be clear, the iPhone development terms do not disallow interpreted
languages. They disallow interpreting code that has been downloaded
independent of both Apple's official distributions channels (i.e. not
contained in the app bundle) and Apple's own code (i.e. running JS code
from anywhere within Apple's WebKit-based UI control is allowed).

In short, writing your app in an interpreted language and bundling the
code
in that language along with the interpreter is legitimate as long as you
don't interpret any other code.

> If so, awesome.
>
> --Jeremy
--Greg
03bbbba7d8650168707ea9a547ca40bf?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Depue (rubyrescue)
on 2009-02-01 16:40
Adam wrote:
> It is.  All the code is precompiled and we disallow things like
> dynamic evaluation (e.g. eval)

The website says that commercial licenses are required for commercial
development and to email sales@rhomobile.com but that address doesn't
work - any ideas how to contact sales?
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.