Forum: Ruby on Rails News Roll

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
20b82a6b37e6570263d17044d7dcb37f?d=identicon&s=25 Jaikishan Jalan (Guest)
on 2008-12-11 03:53
(Received via mailing list)
Hello,
I am making an application in which I have a div where a new news is
flashed
after every 5 second or so automatically. By automatically, I mean user
does
not send any request to server by clicking on anything. The approach I
think
which might work is - for news div, I call a javascript function on
onload
event function of the div, which after every 5 second sends an ajax
request
to server and update that div with a new content. However, as I
understand
that this thing needs to be implemented as a separate thread so that
rest of
the components on the webpage remains interactable. Is this the right
approach to solve this or is there a better way to do it?

--
Thanks,
Jaikishan
81b61875e41eaa58887543635d556fca?d=identicon&s=25 Frederick Cheung (Guest)
on 2008-12-11 10:01
(Received via mailing list)
On 11 Dec 2008, at 02:53, Jaikishan Jalan wrote:

> However, as I understand that this thing needs to be implemented as
> a separate thread so that rest of the components on the webpage
> remains interactable.

That's not true.

Fred
20b82a6b37e6570263d17044d7dcb37f?d=identicon&s=25 Jaikishan Jalan (Guest)
on 2008-12-11 10:28
(Received via mailing list)
Solving the similar problem, I am not sure if my previous approach was
the
right way. Another thing I could think of is that my server keeps
sending
data to my client side proactively for every 5 seconds. How that can be
acheived in rails?

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Frederick Cheung <
frederick.cheung@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fred
>
> >
>


--
Thanks,
Jaikishan
Fac81a9d95c81d817a2debb6f717f3ac?d=identicon&s=25 Sazima (Guest)
on 2008-12-11 14:23
(Received via mailing list)
Jaikishan,

There's no such thing in HTTP. The server can only answer client
requests, not the other way around.

Your 1st approach is correct, except your assumption of needing a
separate thread. What Fred meant is that exactly that, you don't need
a separate thread. Your regular Rails app should be more than capable
to respond to these AJAX requests.

Cheers, Sazima
2d8132658d56e51f19ace1c68e48b6aa?d=identicon&s=25 Thorsten Mueller (thorsten)
on 2008-12-11 14:31
(Received via mailing list)
On Dec 11, 10:28 am, "Jaikishan Jalan" <jai....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Solving the similar problem, I am not sure if my previous approach was the
> right way. Another thing I could think of is that my server keeps sending
> data to my client side proactively for every 5 seconds. How that can be
> acheived in rails?
>

You can use periodically_call_remote:
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Help...
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.