Forum: JRuby Rawr 1.1.1

Db58cf1ed68191031b3806b3416e75c9?d=identicon&s=25 Logan Barnett (Guest)
JRuby users,
Your favorite packaging and deployment tool for JRuby is now at 1.1.1!
This is mostly a minor release, fixing a bug where  Windows users with
spaces in their names couldn't generate exes.

For those new to Rawr, this is what it does (as a series of rake tasks):
Compiles Java and Ruby files in your project, and stuffs them into an
executable jar.
Maintains the executable jar's manifest, and keeps your Java/Jar based
libraries in the classpath.
Provides a Main.java to assist with doing hybrid JRuby/Java
development in Netbeans.
Jars up your data/media files into separate jars.
Builds .exe files for Windows
Builds .app files for OS X

Logan Barnett
logan@happycamperstudios.com
602 714 1148

>Provides a Main.java to assist with doing hybrid JRuby/Java
>development in Netbeans.
>Jars up your data/media files into separate jars.
>Builds .exe files for Windows
>Builds .app files for OS X

Hi Logan,

Where's the source code repository?

I didn't see it here: http://rubyforge.org/projects/rawr/

thanks

http://gitorious.org/projects/rawr

Here's the main Rawr site for more info: http://rawr.rubyforge.org/

Logan Barnett
logan@happycamperstudios.com
602 714 1148

> thanks

>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 9:42 PM, Logan Barnett
<logan@happycamperstudios.com> wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2008, at 1:58 PM, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
>
>>> JRuby users,
>>> Your favorite packaging and deployment tool for JRuby is now at 1.1.1!
>>> This is mostly a minor release, fixing a bug where  Windows users with
>>> spaces in their names couldn't generate exes.

Hey Logan,
is there much writeup on Rawr? The project page is a bit spartan and I
am wondering
if anyone is playing with it in the blogosphere much.

Got a bit too much in my in queue atm, but but distributing
applications is always tricky,
and I am always on the lookout for anything that jumps the shark on
this. Especially
anything that can autogenerate native installers and the like.

On Dec 10, 2008, at 3:06 PM, Richard Conroy wrote:

Richard,
Rawr isn't something we've blogged about a lot (if at all), but you
can see examples in of its usage in Monkeybars presentations (and
other links I could dig up):
http://rubyconf2008.confreaks.com/monkeybars-easy-...
http://www.beyondthetype.com/tweetobix
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-monkey...

Rawr isn't strictly for Monkeybars. I've been using it for Gemini
projects as well:
http://dkoontz.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/java-game-...

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Logan Barnett

>> Hey Logan,
>> is there much writeup on Rawr? The project page is a bit spartan and I
>> am wondering
>> if anyone is playing with it in the blogosphere much.

> http://dkoontz.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/java-game-...
Thanks Logan,

I was more wondering if you had noticed some writeups yourselves,
rather than your
own blogs.

I will have to give it a whirl soon.

Richard Conroy wrote:
> I was more wondering if you had noticed some writeups yourselves,
> rather than your
> own blogs.

Feel free to use JRuby wiki if you need some web space. Rawr is cool
stuff.

- Charlie

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<charles.nutter@sun.com> wrote:
> Richard Conroy wrote:
>>
>> I was more wondering if you had noticed some writeups yourselves,
>> rather than your
>> own blogs.
>
> Feel free to use JRuby wiki if you need some web space. Rawr is cool stuff.

Indeed it is. Is there something in the water though... Rawr is not
the first tool I saw that
allowed for 'push button' creation of all-in-one ruby application
distributions, bundling up all the
necessary binaries into one convenient to distribute file.

I just read about Crate recently:
http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/crate/ which is a pure ruby
take on this problem, with some interesting ideas in it (all the ruby
files are in sqlite3 databases).

And I have just been messing about with the awesomeness that is the
Shoes 2 release.
It bundles a packager for your shoes app/script ....

Multiple independent solutions to the same problem arriving on the
scene at around the same time,
this is good news indeed.