Forum: Mongrel mongrel_cluster : up to 500 MiB memory

60b8d3f023999069046e5bb5c2fbd58a?d=identicon&s=25 Céd B. (akyrho)
on 2008-12-10 11:36
Hi everyone,

I've got some trouble with my RoR application running with apache
(2.2.9) and mongrel (1.1.5).

The site i manage has about 20'000 visits a day, and we run 14 mongrel
instances switched with mongrel_cluster (1.0.5). The fact is, sometime,
half of my mongrel instances are raising something like 500MiB memory
and don't seem to work anymore.

The server itself has 8 CPU's and 8Go of RAM.

I read different how-to's about mongrel and mongrel_rails but most of
them are just talking about how to start with mongrel.

I would like to know if there is a way to monitor mongrel instance
and/or how to improve my configuration?

If anyone has a suggestion, it'll be very helpfull.
Cdeb3717947dec41ae5dc2e777ec0840?d=identicon&s=25 Cynthia Kiser (Guest)
You didn't specify exactly what you want to monitor but a lot of
people use Monit to monitor their mongrel clusters:
  http://mmonit.com/monit/

I have also heard people talk about using 'god'

http://weblog.redlinesoftware.com/2008/4/4/using-g...

Quoting C??d B. <lists@ruby-forum.com>:
Céd B. wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got some trouble with my RoR application running with apache
> (2.2.9) and mongrel (1.1.5).
>
> The site i manage has about 20'000 visits a day, and we run 14 mongrel
> instances switched with mongrel_cluster (1.0.5). The fact is, sometime,
> half of my mongrel instances are raising something like 500MiB memory
> and don't seem to work anymore.

There are some patches on ruby-core that discuss a sweller GC maybe that
would help.
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/170608#new