Forum: Ruby on Rails thin server processes slowly growing in RAM size

Debcfd8f3f533800e2711c704825f9c0?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Kulik (kuliksco)
on 2008-12-09 16:43
When I initially start up my server I have two thin processes running
that are only about 200M in size.  They slowly creep up a few megs an
hour until now a week later they are at 400M and 300M respectively.

I realize that my site (http://wlodb.com) has some intensive pages that
take a couple seconds to render (most notably http://wlodb.com/compounds
) but I'm wondering if this is normal?  I usually get about 500,000 page
hits a month.

Should I have a cronjob to restart my server processes once a week or
should I just work on implementing some server side caching which should
resolve the issue?

thanks!
Debcfd8f3f533800e2711c704825f9c0?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Kulik (kuliksco)
on 2008-12-12 21:16
i guess nobody has as many problems as me.  in general, do thin server
processes normally keep growing and growing or do they cap out in size?
2385b29add40becb0a3eb1ec72dc5d46?d=identicon&s=25 John Yerhot (joyerhot)
on 2008-12-12 22:21
Scott Kulik wrote:
> i guess nobody has as many problems as me.  in general, do thin server
> processes normally keep growing and growing or do they cap out in size?

Mine don't grow in size.. of course, mine arn't 200mb.
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bobnation (Guest)
I would see if there are ways for you to implement caching ... but it
also seems like there is maybe a memory leak within your code causing
some problems. I'm not expert, but those are my thoughts.

On Dec 9, 9:43 am, Scott Kulik <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
Debcfd8f3f533800e2711c704825f9c0?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Kulik (kuliksco)
on 2008-12-14 16:38
Bobnation wrote:
> I would see if there are ways for you to implement caching ... but it
> also seems like there is maybe a memory leak within your code causing
> some problems. I'm not expert, but those are my thoughts.
>
> On Dec 9, 9:43�am, Scott Kulik <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

thanks for the replies.  yea, i think there may be a memory leak.  what
do you think is the best way to narrow it down to a specific page?