Forum: GNU Radio gr-howto-write-a-block seems broken, anybody working on it.

3719f4fea703e38bcbf8de6fe6bcdf55?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DvH (Guest)
gr-howto-write-a-block seems broken.
When I try to bootstrap  ./configure  make

Making all in lib
make[3]: Entering directory
`/pub/projects/gnuradio/svn/trunk/gr-howto-write-a-block/src/lib'
/usr/bin/swig -c++ -fvirtual -python -modern
-I/usr/local/include/gnuradio/swig -I/usr/local/include/gnuradio -module
howto -o howto.cc ../../src/lib/howto.i
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/swig/gr_realtime.i:3: Error: Unable to find
'gruel/realtime.h'
make[3]: *** [howto.cc] Error 1

This seems to be due to
gr-howto-write-a-block/Makefile.common:
SWIGGRFLAGS = -I$(GNURADIO_CORE_INCLUDEDIR)/swig -I
$(GNURADIO_CORE_INCLUDEDIR)

When you add $(GNURADIO_CORE_CPPFLAGS) to it, it builds.

SWIGGRFLAGS = -I$(GNURADIO_CORE_INCLUDEDIR)/swig -I
$(GNURADIO_CORE_INCLUDEDIR) $(GNURADIO_CORE_CPPFLAGS)

So I could commit this and everything seems OK again.

But the build infrastructure gr-howto-write-a-block drifts more and more
apart from the main buildtree.

For example, the main gnuradio tree doesn't seem to use SWIGGRFLAGS
anymore
(It is not in Makefile.common of the top sourcetree)

It might be a good idea to get things like Makefile.common, config/*.m4
and configure.ac  updated and more in sync with the main tree.

gr-howto-write-a-block is not a main priority for me, but it might be
confusing for new users if it works very different from the rest.

Greetings,
Martin
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Martin DvH
<gnuradiomail@olifantasia.com> wrote:

> /usr/local/include/gnuradio/swig/gr_realtime.i:3: Error: Unable to find
> 'gruel/realtime.h'

This should have been fixed in a fairly recent version of the trunk,
without needing any change to the gr-howto code, but I'll go check it
out.  Thanks for bringing attention to it.

> But the build infrastructure gr-howto-write-a-block drifts more and more
> apart from the main buildtree.
[...]
> It might be a good idea to get things like Makefile.common, config/*.m4
> and configure.ac  updated and more in sync with the main tree.

I'll be going through this and updating for the 3.2 release.  But
remember that the standalone component build is necessarily different
from the in-tree build in terms of variables, paths, etc., so it isn't
necessarily bad that the configuration files are different.

-Johnathan
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Johnathan Corgan
<jcorgan@corganenterprises.com> wrote:

>> /usr/local/include/gnuradio/swig/gr_realtime.i:3: Error: Unable to find
>> 'gruel/realtime.h'
>
> This should have been fixed in a fairly recent version of the trunk,
> without needing any change to the gr-howto code, but I'll go check it
> out.  Thanks for bringing attention to it.

This was fixed in r9920 back on November 3.  The current svn
gr-howto-write-a-block compiles fine.

-Johnathan
On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 14:51 -0800, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> This was fixed in r9920 back on November 3.  The current svn
> gr-howto-write-a-block compiles fine.

I did a
svn diff -r HEAD
But didn't see it.