Forum: Ruby shoes 2 (raisins) is go.

19fdf8bd123216b5056fb856cf1a5771?d=identicon&s=25 _why (Guest)
Salutations and hi.

I only slide in for a moment to bring word of a very ordinary and
plausible new development, akin to a routine change of bus drivers,
or the moving of a toothpaste basket back into the hall closet. It's
just something to be aware of.

Yes, it's SHOES 2 (or "RAISINS" when in mixed company.)

  <http://shoooes.net/about/raisins/>

This marks a major release of Shoes, the colorful application kit
built with equal parts C (stands for fast) and Ruby (which stands
for great.)

While the above link will give you the release notes, here's
the rest of it:

  * http://shoooes.net/about
    (an explanation in the simplest terms)
  * http://shoooes.net/tutorial
    (a walkthrough pairing code with screenshots)
  * http://hackety.org/press
    (the illustrated manual "nobody knows shoes")
  * http://github.com/why/shoes/wikis
    (the wiki, with instructions for joining the mailing list)

With the help of dozens of fine, upstanding young minds who've
fought bravely for each little drop of Shoes-brand foot coloring,
I am pleased to present you with these Raisins, dressed in their
traditional garb of acorn caps and abalone bracelets, on a bed of
lettuce with pepperjack cheese and a pineapple upside-down smoothie,
all served on a sun-warped checkerboard with a small glass of
eagle's breath.

Bottom line, it's a mess. And it smells. Of wildly vivid Pantone
colors.

_why
Ae16cb4f6d78e485b04ce1e821592ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 2:05 PM, _why <why@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Salutations and hi.
>
> I only slide in for a moment to bring word of a very ordinary and
> plausible new development, akin to a routine change of bus drivers,
> or the moving of a toothpaste basket back into the hall closet. It's
> just something to be aware of.
>
> Yes, it's SHOES 2 (or "RAISINS" when in mixed company.)

Congratulations :)

martin
83ea0a95268cb5a7df095639e0ccb49c?d=identicon&s=25 Vince Angeloni (vinnie)
on 2008-12-07 17:43
OK, _Why has enticed me to take a look. After playing with some of the
samples, I have a few questions.
Be aware, I am a Ruby novice and using Mac OS X (Leopard).

First: the "simple forms.rb" example -- on my machine I am unable to tab
between edit fields. This is not "standard behavior" I am accustomed to
on the Mac. Can this be addressed?

Second:  the "simple-rubygems.rb" example. This appears to install gems
on my system without requiring and admin password. I already had
RedCloth installed, and it states that it installed metaid 1.0, but that
is not present when I do a gem query in Terminal. So, I am not sure that
it is working. Also, if IT IS working, installing programs without
asking for an admin password is a BIG security problem. Comments?

Thanks. Otherwise, this is quite a sweet GUI toolkit.

vince
A8486651a974d7d9ecc35d25de96c7ee?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Lowis (chrislo)
on 2008-12-07 19:48
> Second:  the "simple-rubygems.rb" example. This appears to install gems
> on my system without requiring and admin password. I already had
> RedCloth installed, and it states that it installed metaid 1.0, but that
> is not present when I do a gem query in Terminal. So, I am not sure that
> it is working. Also, if IT IS working, installing programs without
> asking for an admin password is a BIG security problem. Comments?

As far as I understand Shoes bundles it's own Ruby interpreter in a
sandbox-type environment - it's actually entirely separate from the ruby
you may (or may not) have installed on your system.

Chris
59193d8082ee0fe75675d3bb376cf2ba?d=identicon&s=25 Pierre Pierre (pierre_p)
on 2008-12-08 01:08
Cool!
I like Shoes, so I will definitely have a look at it.

Thank for your work.
0026dd77fd9ecc97b36e5b79cdbcf590?d=identicon&s=25 R. Kumar (sentinel)
on 2008-12-08 06:34
_why wrote:
> Salutations and hi.

Is there a link to any documentation (RDOC). I do not mean tutorials. I
wish to see what widgets exist in Shoes, what methods they expose. I've
tried searching but I keep getting linked to the tute.
59193d8082ee0fe75675d3bb376cf2ba?d=identicon&s=25 Pierre Pierre (pierre_p)
on 2008-12-08 07:00
Nit Khair wrote:
> _why wrote:
>> Salutations and hi.
>
> Is there a link to any documentation (RDOC). I do not mean tutorials. I
> wish to see what widgets exist in Shoes, what methods they expose. I've
> tried searching but I keep getting linked to the tute.

I believe you are looking for the Shoes manual itself.
Have a look in there, it has the class descriptions with their methods.
On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 01:37:14AM +0900, Vince Angeloni wrote:
> First: the "simple forms.rb" example -- on my machine I am unable to tab
> between edit fields. This is not "standard behavior" I am accustomed to
> on the Mac. Can this be addressed?

Hello there. Definitely, this is a problem we've been kicking
around on the Shoes list and, fortunately, I've got Dr. Ernie at
Apple feeding us some insider information. The form fields don't
come with tabbing built in, I have to chain them together. The fix
is coming.

> Second:  the "simple-rubygems.rb" example. This appears to install gems
> on my system without requiring and admin password.

Gems are installed into ~/.shoes. I'm working on a security
mechanism to notify the user if sockets are accessed, files are
touched, shared libs, etc. This all takes time to assemble.

Well, good to have your advice, Vince.

_why
On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 9:35 AM, _why <why@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
Although it is not very Ruby like to repeat other people, remember DROP?
;)
I have to:
  *A m a z i n g*

Great Stuff.
Cheers
Robert

--
Il computer non è una macchina intelligente che aiuta le persone
stupide, anzi, è una macchina stupida che funziona solo nelle mani

Umberto Eco
_why for president,
_why for president!
4d5b5dd4e263d780a5dfe7ac8b8ac98c?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Pease (Guest)
On Dec 8, 2008, at 6:13 PM, Marc Heiler wrote:

> _why for president,
> _why for president!

_why is much too nice. I would not want to do that to him!

TwP
0e5dbfebaf7264f443e36754fdc8a4a5?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Bevilacqua-Linn (Guest)
I should say that depends entirely on what he would be presiding over.

Mike
F9458b96d9cd021f6193504abf8b2978?d=identicon&s=25 Bob Hutchison (Guest)
On 6-Dec-08, at 3:35 AM, _why wrote:

>  * http://hackety.org/press
>    (the illustrated manual "nobody knows shoes")

This 'manual' is just wonderful!

If you don't mind my asking, how long did this take?

Cheers,
Bob

----
Bob Hutchison