Forum: RSpec Rails project as a template for other projects (off topic)

85d99e7678d8720f6e00ab0f60fe6ea9?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Premdas (Guest)
This is of topic but I have a feeling I might get some useful advice
here -
hope you don't mind

I've created a rails project that I want to use as a basis for other
rails
project. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on workflow for doing
this
sort of thing, especially dealing with updating projects as the base
project
gets improved.

My base project might be of interest to people here, its basically

Vanilla Rails project with added rspec, cucumber, haml, compass,
object_daddy, webrat and restful-authentication (RA). Then the RA
stories
have been replaced with features which are specifically designed to be
simple enough that I can understand them with simple steps as well. The
RA
forms have been hamlized and made to work properly with webrat (have
proper
labels) and finally a couple of tweaks have been added so you can login
with
email (optional) and the remember_me stuff works.

I'm using GIT for SCM

Anyhow any ideas ?

Cheers

Andrew
5f01846708cd8d474cae677fb20c786e?d=identicon&s=25 Caius Durling (Guest)
On Dec 4, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Andrew Premdas wrote:

> Vanilla Rails project with added rspec, cucumber, haml, compass,
> Anyhow any ideas ?
Anything like Bort?
http://github.com/fudgestudios/bort/network
49de4cd2f26705785cbef2b15a9df7aa?d=identicon&s=25 Nick Hoffman (nickh)
On 2008-12-04, at 13:34, Andrew Premdas wrote:
> Vanilla Rails project with added rspec, cucumber, haml, compass,
> Anyhow any ideas ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew. This doesn't have to do with one's workflow, but I highly
recommend taking a look at Authlogic. It's an incredible
authentication system, and IMO, is much better than restful-
authentication.

As for creating a customised base Rails project, check out Suprails
(http://github.com/listrophy/suprails
) and rg (http://github.com/jeremymcanally/rg/).

Cheers,
Nick
944f769c99deff7aa8bc3b5b93830b7a?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Taylor (Guest)
On Dec 4, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Andrew Premdas wrote:

> Vanilla Rails project with added rspec, cucumber, haml, compass,
> Anyhow any ideas ?
Just keep that base repository, and clone it for a new project.

If you have updates for the base-repository, then commit there.  Git
allows you to add and fetch from totally different repositories:

git remote add git@my_remote base-project
git fetch base-project
git merge base-project/master

Scott
85d99e7678d8720f6e00ab0f60fe6ea9?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Premdas (Guest)
A bit like Bort, but much less stuff in it and much more focused on
features
and being a platform for bdd.

2008/12/4 Jim Gay <jim@saturnflyer.com>
85d99e7678d8720f6e00ab0f60fe6ea9?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Premdas (Guest)
Thanks for that, need to work more on my gitfu, will investigate further

Andrew

2008/12/4 Scott Taylor <mailing_lists@railsnewbie.com>
85d99e7678d8720f6e00ab0f60fe6ea9?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Premdas (Guest)
Scott

Working on this, assuming I have a cloned project 'foo' from my base
project
base and I'm working on foo. So I implement something new and then think
this should be in base any ideas how to manage this. Was thinking maybe
of
having a base branch which would be the only thing I pushed up to the
base
project. Any thoughts?

On 2008-12-05, at 01:51, Andrew Premdas wrote:
> Scott
>
> Working on this, assuming I have a cloned project 'foo' from my base
> project base and I'm working on foo. So I implement something new
> and then think this should be in base any ideas how to manage this.
> Was thinking maybe of having a base branch which would be the only
> thing I pushed up to the base project. Any thoughts?
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew. I'd use git-format-patch to generate one or more patches
from Project Foo that contain the changes that you want to incorporate
into your base project. Then, it's simply a matter of applying those
patches to the base project, and sorting out any conflicts.

Cheers,
Nick