Forum: Ruby on Rails what's the smallest device to do Rails development on???

D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)

What's the smallest (lightest / most compact) device that one could
use to do relatively productive Rails development on?  Ideally
something you could carry in your pocket (i.e. I'm thinking
smaller/lighter than a MacBook).  I'm assuming here you don't have
connectivity to the internet (i.e. not just terminal emulation to a
server).

So it would need:

MANDATORY
* Ability to run Rails/Ruby (./script/server,  ./script/console)
* Text Editor
* Browser with javascript/css support

NICE TO HAVE
* Storage for full Rails, Ruby API doco
* A couple of Rails/Ruby PDFs

thanks
On Dec 3, 6:49 am, "Greg Hauptmann" <greg.hauptmann.r...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the smallest (lightest / most compact) device that one could
> use to do relatively productive Rails development on?  Ideally
> something you could carry in your pocket (i.e. I'm thinking
> smaller/lighter than a MacBook).  I'm assuming here you don't have
> connectivity to the internet (i.e. not just terminal emulation to a
> server).

Something like a nokia N810 internet tablet maybe ? Or depending on
the size of your pocket and assuming you actually do your development
sitting down at a desk that already has a keyboard/screen then
something with a mac-mini like form factor

Fred
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Greg Hauptmann
<greg.hauptmann.ruby@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the smallest (lightest / most compact) device that one could
> use to do relatively productive Rails development on?  Ideally
> something you could carry in your pocket (i.e. I'm thinking
> smaller/lighter than a MacBook).

Not quite pocket-sized, but you could look at the various "netbooks",
e.g. ASUS Eee PC. Much smaller than a Mac, runs Linux, etc.

The gating factor 're "productive" is the keyboard; I got a Eee PC 900
for a trip, and my fingers are just too big for it -- obviously YMMV.

HTH,
Db7238007950074e9e73b76a81910406?d=identicon&s=25 tonypm (Guest)
I use an eeepc 900 running Fedora, with Netbeans ide.  (Fedora 10 now
includes Netbeans in the package repository, and now supports wireless
out of the box).

Don't try it with windows though, just too slow.  But Fedora actually
running on the external SDHC card works well for me.

Dual screen handling is pretty cool too, providing the OS can
recognize the screen (HP monitors work well).

I have a PAYG 3 Mobile dongle which I take everywhere with me along
with the eeepc using a large camera bag.  With openvpn, I can remote
connect to a client and fix a problem from virtually anywhere at
anytime.

Touch typing on the keyboard is possible and actually require less
finger movement which as you get used to is less RSI risk.  Mostly
though I just plug in a usb kb and mouse.

Tonypm