Forum: Ruby About creating a Planner in Ruby

0df4a6c75caf1bd9b01d2dcbfb085ee4?d=identicon&s=25 Sandro Paganotti (Guest)
Hi

Does anyone know a good starting point (a gem, an article, a library,
etc...) on how
to build a typical Planner/Agenda application ?

In details, what I need to develop must:

   - handle tasks, appointments and todos
   - keep somehow track of free time
   - be used with ICAL based calendars through subscription
   - handle group of users

I initially thought about using an ICAL server (DAVIcal
http://rscds.sourceforge.net/)
but I found nothing that can be queried/used from Ruby.

Do you have any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance
Sandro
Sandro Paganotti wrote:
> Does anyone know a good starting point (a gem, an article, a library,
> etc...) on how
> to build a typical Planner/Agenda application ?
>
> In details, what I need to develop must:
>
>    - handle tasks, appointments and todos
>    - keep somehow track of free time
>    - be used with ICAL based calendars through subscription
>    - handle group of users

If you are learning to program, or learning Ruby, then this may be a
rather large first bite to chew. That's because you'll have to learn
Ruby, plus some user-interface library (e.g. Tk, or a web framework like
Rails), plus the ICAL data format and protocol interactions, plus
scheduling algorithms.

I suggest you start simple. For example, write something which handles
to-do lists using local storage. You can find a great prototype to copy
on the web at www.tadalist.com (that is, for copying how the user
interface looks; you'll still have to code it yourself)

> I initially thought about using an ICAL server (DAVIcal
> http://rscds.sourceforge.net/)
> but I found nothing that can be queried/used from Ruby.

Clearly you didn't enter "ruby ical" into Google.

So don't expect someone else to do your project/homework for you, when
you haven't done the most basic research yourself.