Forum: Ruby Why is Ruby 1.9 not called Ruby 2.0?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Beb77c4602c3cac7a12149431366ed11?d=identicon&s=25 The Higgs bozo (higgsbozo)
on 2008-12-02 20:19
Given the systemic and fundamental changes in 1.9, I wonder why it
wasn't given a clean break with the 2.0 name?  I know Matz had his own
ideas for 2.0, but why couldn't he call his version 3.0?

There's a communication issue here, especially for non-rubyists.  Ruby
has been known for being a bit slower than other popular languages, and
1.9 represents a big improvement from the past.  But the name 1.9 does
not communicate the newness of it.  It looks like just another release
of the same.

On the one hand we can agree that names do not _ultimately_ matter.  But
on the other hand it's problematic to explain and re-explain that 1.9 is
quite different despite its name.  The casual observer may never know.

Since an official production release of 1.9 hasn't happened yet, would
it be impossible to convince the higher-ups to take the plunge and call
it 2.0?
31e038e4e9330f6c75ccfd1fca8010ee?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Brown (Guest)
on 2008-12-02 22:06
(Received via mailing list)
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:13 PM, The Higgs bozo <higgs.bozo@gmail.com>
wrote:
>
> On the one hand we can agree that names do not _ultimately_ matter.  But
> on the other hand it's problematic to explain and re-explain that 1.9 is
> quite different despite its name.  The casual observer may never know.
>
> Since an official production release of 1.9 hasn't happened yet, would
> it be impossible to convince the higher-ups to take the plunge and call
> it 2.0?

In Ruby, major change is indicated by x.y.z -> x.(y+1).z, not
necessarily (x + 1).y.z
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Sawyer (7rans)
on 2008-12-02 22:47
(Received via mailing list)
On Dec 2, 3:59 pm, "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There's a communication issue here, especially for non-rubyists.  Ruby
> > it be impossible to convince the higher-ups to take the plunge and call
> > it 2.0?
>
> In Ruby, major change is indicated by x.y.z -> x.(y+1).z, not
> necessarily (x + 1).y.z

Maybe so, but then what kind of change is x + 1?

1.9 is "major major" if you compare to anything since 1.4. I mean
YARV? Come on.

However, I'll make a wild guess here... Matz wants to introduce the
real Ruby 2.0 sooner rather than later. If he labeled 1.9 as 2.0, he
would be force to hold off a while... okay, one can dream ;)

T.
31e038e4e9330f6c75ccfd1fca8010ee?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Brown (Guest)
on 2008-12-02 23:30
(Received via mailing list)
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > wasn't given a clean break with the 2.0 name?  I know Matz had his own
>> > quite different despite its name.  The casual observer may never know.
>>
>> > Since an official production release of 1.9 hasn't happened yet, would
>> > it be impossible to convince the higher-ups to take the plunge and call
>> > it 2.0?
>>
>> In Ruby, major change is indicated by x.y.z -> x.(y+1).z, not
>> necessarily (x + 1).y.z
>
> Maybe so, but then what kind of change is x + 1?

I follow this pattern for my projects, and I wonder this myself.

I reserve x + 1 for something that will 'totally change' a project.
For example, Replacing PDF::Writer with Prawn in Ruport will result in
Ruport 2.0, because it's going to break absolutely everything.

So I think x + 1 is reserved for whenever a crazy party is in order,
or at least a crazy riot. ;)

-greg
F6a834b9e424a1e5b199db450462b6cd?d=identicon&s=25 Ron Fox (Guest)
on 2008-12-03 17:11
(Received via mailing list)
The Higgs bozo wrote:
> On the one hand we can agree that names do not _ultimately_ matter.  But
> on the other hand it's problematic to explain and re-explain that 1.9 is
> quite different despite its name.  The casual observer may never know.
>
> Since an official production release of 1.9 hasn't happened yet, would
> it be impossible to convince the higher-ups to take the plunge and call
> it 2.0?

Because Matz gets to decide what the version number is.  No other
reason than that :-D
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.