Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails on shared hosting

2eac5554aeb88694468a955a0db2b274?d=identicon&s=25 Joshua Partogi (Guest)
Dear all,

Has anyone run RoR on cPanel based shared hosting? I've got my RoR
application on http://mydomain:10024/

Now I've uploaded all my Product model, view and controller.

Then I tried hitting: http://mydomain:10024/products but it didn't work

Is there any configuration I need to do on a shared hosting? Has
anyone experience with this before?

I'm sorry I have to ask it here since the hosting provided weren't
very supportive as they said it's the problem with the apps, but this
seems to be a relatively simple question :-(

Thank you in advance for the support.

--
Not by might nor by power, but by His Spirit.

Read my blog: http://joshuajava.wordpress.com/
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/jpartogi
5eb57ea1f36182bdd64e5601a73262e6?d=identicon&s=25 Nellboy (Guest)
As far as I know (and that's not much in this case), then Rails needs
to be installed by the hosting provider... and i'd say your chances of
making that happen are somewhere between nil and none... Maybe there's
some workaround to this, I know that phusion passenger allows
deployment to Apache webservers, but I haven't used it, so I don't
know about this case (although any day now i'm gonna investigate
it)... maybe there's another solution.... anyone??
4ddf8432a838f716cc499e43131e5e58?d=identicon&s=25 James Englert (Guest)
Rails would need to be installed.  Do you have an .htaccess file that
resides in your public_html directory?  If so, that file is crucial for
getting your app up and running.
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bobnation (Guest)
I tried running a Rails app through cPanel a long time ago and gave up
because I like to have finer control over everything. If money is not
too much of an issue, I think you would be better served by signing up
for a VPS from somewhere and then setting up your own virtual server
to run the app on if for no other reason than to gain a good
understanding for how Rails applications are served to your audience.
5eb57ea1f36182bdd64e5601a73262e6?d=identicon&s=25 Nellboy (Guest)
I've been hoping to find a solution to hsphere and cpanel because i
have clients that use these already for hosting... i spose i could
switch them to a slice of my choosing, but for convenience sake, i'd
rather stick with their hosts, so if anyone has anything on this, that
would be useful...
From what I have found, there's very little shared hosts out there
(especially the cheap ones) that are framework friendly, whether
that's RoR or CakePHP or ... There are some exceptions, but those are
usually the hosts that charge a bit more to be able to give customers
decent support. We used to deploy wherever our customer wanted, having
to contact Mr. John Smith from their host who couldn't even write
english properly and answered us using lots of technical vocabulary
that didn't even make sense, even though we ran our own dedicated
linux servers. Every host was a new surprise and our apps kept on
crashing and dumping huge error files.

In the end, we just told our customers to bite the bullet, we went for
our own dedicated server, set it up, charged them about double what
they paid for their own host, provided them with plesk so they could
at least make their own e-mail addresses and ever since we have had
very happy customers, despite them having to pay a bit more. We
haven't had a single complaint and we can tweak the server to our
liking. You get what you pay for in the end.

On 02 Dec 2008, at 12:20, Nellboy wrote:

>> because I like to have finer control over everything. If money is not
>> too much of an issue, I think you would be better served by signing
>> up
>> for a VPS from somewhere and then setting up your own virtual server
>> to run the app on if for no other reason than to gain a good
>> understanding for how Rails applications are served to your audience.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
2eac5554aeb88694468a955a0db2b274?d=identicon&s=25 Joshua Partogi (Guest)
I think I must agree with you on this. It's just shared hosting are
all about marketing when they said they support rails :-(

Yeach the module is there and accessible from cPanel, but Rails can't
actually run. *sigh*

Any good slice hosting that is recommended anyone?

Cheers.
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bobnation (Guest)
I've heard good things about Slicehost, http://www.slicehost.com/, and
have been thinking about hosting any actual applications there if they
ever get too big for my tiny Atom server I am currently running from
my apartment's server shelf.
00e8233b7817ac14040f7928e6d4b889?d=identicon&s=25 John Yerhot (Guest)
I can second the recommendation for slicehost.

The best 'shared' Rails host I've experienced is
http://www.ocssolutions.com/.
On 2 Dec 2008, at 15:18, John Yerhot wrote:

> I can second the recommendation for slicehost.
>
> The best 'shared' Rails host I've experienced is http://www.ocssolutions.com/
> .

slicehost have been good to me too, as have linode (although I've
never had anything more critical than my blog and a few random
experiments).

Fred
4375b4aca04b8d72482fd409fb6d0b47?d=identicon&s=25 Roderick van Domburg (roderickvd)
on 2008-12-02 16:42
Allow me to plug http://www.railscluster.nl (http://en.railscluster.nl
for the English site), which is a fully clustered shared hosting
solution. It's been designed especially for Rails hosting.

--
Roderick van Domburg
http://www.nedforce.com

On Dec 2, 3:42 pm, Roderick van Domburg <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
Fc6f5b908cfa12868292f985e0de2788?d=identicon&s=25 elle (Guest)
Have been using railsplayground.com and love their support team...
Upgraded recently to a reseller account and will probably upgrade one
day to a VPS
A82ba1167f4d4a8d1de63820e576a87f?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think I must agree with you on this. It's just shared hosting are
> all about marketing when they said they support rails :-(
>
> Yeach the module is there and accessible from cPanel, but Rails can't
> actually run. *sigh*
>
> Any good slice hosting that is recommended anyone?

Joshua,

You might give Boxcar a look over as well. We've made this process
painless. :-)

* http://railsboxcar.com/

Cheers,
Robby