Forum: Ruby on Rails Incompatible versioning of InstantRails?

Ff3c3206118733da78f58d749a5e4311?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Peterson (golddog)
on 2008-12-01 22:46
I'm trying to get InstantRails running on a different computer than I
originally started and I've gotten stuck.  I kind of think it's a
versioning issue, but don't have a real good "reason why" I think that.

Here's the deal.  I'd started fooling around with Rails a while back on
my laptop and got to a point where I did a check-in to an svn
repository.

This turned out to be a good thing, as that laptop went away for a
while.

So, I've downloaded InstantRails 2.0 to my desktop, got the database set
up for this application, and recovered the Ruby code from the
repository, putting it in rails_apps.

I then did a 'rails <appname>' to make sure it would show up in the
Rails Applications window, and asked the system not to overwrite any
files it asked to.  So I believe I have the same setup as was on my
laptop, with the possible exception of the version of InstantRails.

When I try to start this application, I see the window start and shut
down almost immediately.  I don't see anything in the /log directory to
help me out.

I'm kind of guessing that I didn't originally develop in 2.0, so there's
an incompatibility between my code and this framework.

Can anyone verify that could be a problem, or put me on a path to
further debug this issue?

Thank you.
On Dec 1, 9:46 pm, Scott Peterson <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
wrote:

> So, I've downloaded InstantRails 2.0 to my desktop, got the database set
> up for this application, and recovered the Ruby code from the
> repository, putting it in rails_apps.
>
> I then did a 'rails <appname>' to make sure it would show up in the
> Rails Applications window, and asked the system not to overwrite any
> files it asked to.  So I believe I have the same setup as was on my
> laptop, with the possible exception of the version of InstantRails.

Unless you had frozen rails, you could be running a different version
of rails than the one you developed against.
I know nothing about instant rails but it would be insane if you
couldn't see the output from starting the app

Fred
46f52c33235283752423837b91c581dd?d=identicon&s=25 Norm (Guest)
Scott Peterson wrote:

> down almost immediately.  I don't see anything in the /log directory to
> help me out.
>
> I'm kind of guessing that I didn't originally develop in 2.0, so there's
> an incompatibility between my code and this framework.
>
> Can anyone verify that could be a problem, or put me on a path to
> further debug this issue?
>
> Thank you.

I had that same symptom when running a rails 1.2 app on IR 2.  In my
case it was a routing problem.  Try 'rake routes' to see if the routes
as setup will work with what you have.