Forum: GNU Radio Fw: testing outside building with our USRPs

80e825d1e631c4d6681b39c0176c2f85?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Stevenson (Guest)
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Bill Stevenson <bill.stevenson07@yahoo.com>
To: Blair Strang <blair.strang@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, December 1, 2008 12:13:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] testing outside building with our USRPs

________________________________
From: Blair Strang <blair.strang@gmail.com>
To: discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org
Sent: Monday, December 1, 2008 2:31:30 AM

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Bill Stevenson
<bill.stevenson07@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello, all!
> But how can we get power for USRPs when we are testing outside? Could
> anybody tell me a decent way to power USRPs up without connecting the power
> cable to the extension board inside the building? What kind of batterypack
> can we use for the USRPs if battery is doable? Thanks a lot!

a) Use sealed 6v batteries.  Get a charger when you buy the batteries.
Check the mAh rating to make sure you'll get the runtime you need.
Try to avoid using them in parallel unless you have to.

b) Use car batteries plus inverters (or even cars, inverters and a
couple long extension cables).  Heavy, expensive, inefficient, but you
might have the kit already.

Regards,

    Blair.

Thank you Blair! Now I know how to power the USRPs, but what is your
idea of getting our PCs(Desktop Computers) powered outside? If the only
way is to use laptops, 8 laptops should be required. That is really a
huge number for us. :) Thank you!

Bill