Forum: Ruby Load C extension in Mac OS X linked a a dylib

C6415d514d11f0483df85cb866a57763?d=identicon&s=25 Elias Athanasopoulos (elathan)
on 2008-12-01 15:28
Hello!

I noticed that Ruby is refusing to load an extension in Mac OS X
(Leopard, 2.5.5), unless it is a bundle. I used dtruss to confirm that
Ruby is looking only for .rb and .bundle files to load. Is there a
special reason for that?

Regards,
Elias
F1d6cc2b735bfd82c8773172da2aeab9?d=identicon&s=25 Nobuyoshi Nakada (nobu)

At Mon, 1 Dec 2008 23:23:08 +0900,
Elias Athanasopoulos wrote in [ruby-talk:321544]:
> I noticed that Ruby is refusing to load an extension in Mac OS X
> (Leopard, 2.5.5), unless it is a bundle. I used dtruss to confirm that
> Ruby is looking only for .rb and .bundle files to load. Is there a
> special reason for that?

What differences between bundle and dylib?
8a85c693f13ef7cb542ef94d2a403d4d?d=identicon&s=25 Luc Heinrich (Guest)
On 19 janv. 09, at 22:16, Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:

> What differences between bundle and dylib?

On OS X a dylib is a "normal" shared library usually brought to life
by the system dynamic linker (dyld) and a bundle library is a
programmatically loadable module. The other main difference I know of
is that bundles can be unloaded while dylib cannot.