Forum: NGINX Problem on installing ngnix

Bd7e68a0f6d69c0244c49666fb2a8bf1?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Liu (Guest)
Hi folks,

OS - Debina Etch

Problem on installing nginx

# apt-get install nginx
 nginx

Fail.  But I can't uninstall the package;

# apt-get remove --f nginx
E: Command line option --f is not understood
xen11:~# apt-get remove -f nginx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  nginx
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 524kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 18955 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing nginx ...
Stopping nginx: invoke-rc.d: initscript nginx, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing nginx (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Starting nginx: invoke-rc.d: initscript nginx, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 nginx

I have to remove nginx manually;

# rm -rf /etc/nginx
# rm -rf /usr/sbin/nginx
# rm /usr/share/man/man1/nginx.1.gz
# apt-get remove nginx*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Note, selecting gtk-engines-xenophilia for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting cfengine-doc for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-redmond95 for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-thingeramik for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting cfengine2-doc for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-eazel for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-mist for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-clearlooks for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-pixbuf for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-metal for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-geramik for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-thinice for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-lighthouseblue for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-geramik-data for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-begtk for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-raleigh for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting libcatalyst-engine-apache-perl for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting asterisk-rate-engine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting dpsyco-cfengine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting foomatic-db-engine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-mist for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting ksplash-engine-moodin for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-gartoon for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gnome-icon-theme-gartoon instead of
gtk2-engines-gartoon
Note, selecting gtk2-engines for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting nginx for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting python2.4-poker-engine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-smooth for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-qtpixmap for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting cfengine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting libengine-pkcs11-openssl for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-thingeramik for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting amarok-engine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting amarok-xine instead of amarok-engine
Note, selecting dhis-dns-engine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-magicchicken for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-notif for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-cleanice for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-gorilla for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-redmond95 for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting xengine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-thinice for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2.0-engines-pixbuf for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting cfengine2 for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-wasp for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-gtk-qt for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-crux for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-metal for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-galaxy for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-industrial for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting poker-engine-common for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-xfce for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-qt-engine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting python-poker-engine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-pixmap for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-glider for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-highcontrast for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-nuvola for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting webmin-cfengine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting amarok-engines for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-spherecrystal for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-wonderland for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-geramik for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting dhis-mx-sendmail-engine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-qtpixmap for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting doom-engine for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-smooth for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-mgicchikn for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue for regex 'nginx*'
Note, selecting gtk-engines-thingeramik-data for regex 'nginx*'
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  nginx
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 524kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
(Reading database ... 18955 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing nginx ...

# find / -name nginx
/var/lib/nginx
/var/log/nginx
/etc/init.d/nginx

# ls /var/lib/nginx/
body  fastcgi  proxy

# rm -rf /var/lib/nginx

# ls /var/log/nginx/
access.log            error.log             localhost.access.log

# rm -rf /var/log/nginx
# rm /etc/init.d/nginx

Please advise how to install nginx.  Whether I have to compile the
package from source?  TIA

B.R.
Stephen L

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
561c2fb6d0c72e0c7bc52b263c7d56c3?d=identicon&s=25 Merlin (Guest)
Hello,

This is not an nginx problem, this is a debian problem.  You should
report
this problem on the Debian Bug Tracker using the program `reportbug`.
Go
here for more information: http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting .

To remove the package, you might try using dpkg directly like so:
  `dpkg -P nginx` or maybe `dpkg -r nginx`

I believe the etch package is nginx-0.5.x, so you will likely be better
off
building a more current version from scratch.

For what it's worth, the package in Lenny has been updated to 0.6.32 and
installs and removes perfectly fine.

Thanks,
Merlin
--- Merlin <merlin@mahalo.com> wrote:

> I believe the etch package is nginx-0.5.x, so you will likely be
> better off
> building a more current version from scratch.
>
> For what it's worth, the package in Lenny has been updated to 0.6.32
> and
> installs and removes perfectly fine.
>
> Thanks,
> Merlin

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for your advice.

I'll try to install nginx from source.

B.R.
Stephen

> > Problem on installing nginx
> >
> > After unpacking 524kB disk space will be freed.
> > dpkg: error while cleaning up:
> > # rm -rf /usr/sbin/nginx
> > Note, selecting gtk2-engines-mist for regex 'nginx*'
> > Note, selecting asterisk-rate-engine for regex 'nginx*'
> > Note, selecting gtk2-engines-smooth for regex 'nginx*'
> > Note, selecting gtk2-engines-gorilla for regex 'nginx*'
> > Note, selecting gtk2-engines-industrial for regex 'nginx*'
> > Note, selecting gtk2-engines-spherecrystal for regex 'nginx*'
> >  nginx
> > # find / -name nginx
> > # ls /var/log/nginx/
> > B.R.
> > Stephen L

> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
103e3ecb1c838c6c7e52a0ee12ee6e1a?d=identicon&s=25 Glen Lumanau (Guest)
You don't need to install nginx from source.

Here's the step to uninstall nginx

Edit your /etc/init.d/nginx

Add this
Exit 0
On the top of that file

Then try to remove nginx
Apt-get remove --purge nginx

:)

Regards,

Glen Lumanau
--- Glen Lumanau <glen@lumanau.web.id> wrote:

> Then try to remove nginx
> Apt-get remove --purge nginx

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your advice.

Already have the package removed before posting.  For 2nd round I have
to install nginx from source. Because if installing it again on repo I
may encounter the problem.

B.R.
Stephen L

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com