Forum: GNU Radio testing outside building with our USRPs

80e825d1e631c4d6681b39c0176c2f85?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Stevenson (Guest)
Hello, all!

We are utilizing USRPs to test the transmission range under some certain
circumstances, say different modulation schemes. We are planning on
testing the range outside, say in a football field since that condition
is similar to the free space environment.

But how can we get power for USRPs when we are testing outside? Could
anybody tell me a decent way to power USRPs up without connecting the
power cable to the extension board inside the building? What kind of
batterypack can we use for the USRPs if battery is doable? Thanks a lot!

Bill
9f6357714ce16b7fe38c860dd3b19e96?d=identicon&s=25 Blair Strang (Guest)
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Bill Stevenson
<bill.stevenson07@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello, all!
> But how can we get power for USRPs when we are testing outside? Could
> anybody tell me a decent way to power USRPs up without connecting the power
> cable to the extension board inside the building? What kind of batterypack
> can we use for the USRPs if battery is doable? Thanks a lot!

a) Use sealed 6v batteries.  Get a charger when you buy the batteries.
 Check the mAh rating to make sure you'll get the runtime you need.
Try to avoid using them in parallel unless you have to.

b) Use car batteries plus inverters (or even cars, inverters and a
couple long extension cables).  Heavy, expensive, inefficient, but you
might have the kit already.

Regards,

    Blair.
A183460a6345f698900d4394de8212ce?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Uher (Guest)
>>Heavy, expensive, inefficient, but you might have the kit already.

 If you are doing fixed measurement, you should also look around the
office for some of the computer back up UPS things.  They are designed
to allow a computer a short time to save and shut down, but can also
supply a low draw device several hours (we used them to power label
printers).  It's something you probably already have that you can just
'borrow' for your experiment.

Jason
965108e996db460e6ae03b71dba2e8ef?d=identicon&s=25 David Burgess (Guest)
Bill -

I've done this with a 12v deep cycle battery and a good quality 12-6
DC-DC converter.  We ran off-grid for a week like that, recharging
the battery in place as needed with whatever power sources were handy.

-- David

On Nov 30, 2008, at 7:20 PM, Bill Stevenson wrote:

> building? What kind of batterypack can we use for the USRPs if
> battery is doable? Thanks a lot!
>
> Bill

David A. Burgess
Kestrel Signal Processing, Inc.
80e825d1e631c4d6681b39c0176c2f85?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Stevenson (Guest)
David -

Thank you, I understand it! But how did you get your computer powered
when you were doing experiment outside? The laptops in our lab are very
limited. Thank you!

Bill

[...]

David-

Thank you for your information about the laptop power rig. But our
problem is we have to use eight USRPs as our nodes in our
experimentation, and we do not have so many laptops, so do you know how
to get 110-220 voltage input for our computers when testing outside?
Thank you!

Bill