Forum: Ruby on Rails How to go back to using webrick default server

Fceacbe62c32d679cb1fe535ed7fa70c?d=identicon&s=25 Mrmaster Mrmaster (mrmaster)

I've installed mongrel to check it out and want to go back to using
webrick as default when i type server/script to run my server. How can I
do this? I know that I can just type server/script webrick but i'd
prefer to have it as default.

Thanks
6fd237f6f40f5afca32aca6ea633f58a?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Lobato (Guest)
Mrmaster Mrmaster escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed mongrel to check it out and want to go back to using
> webrick as default when i type server/script to run my server. How can I
> do this? I know that I can just type server/script webrick but i'd
> prefer to have it as default.
>
> Thanks

you can 'gem remove mongrel'
or make a alias if you are using unix:
alias "webrick=./script/server webrick"
(in last case, add also it to your ~/.profile:
echo ' alias "webrick=./script/server webrick" ' >> ~/.profile)

Tom Lobato
Fceacbe62c32d679cb1fe535ed7fa70c?d=identicon&s=25 Mrmaster Mrmaster (mrmaster)
on 2008-11-30 07:19
Tom Lobato wrote:
> Mrmaster Mrmaster escreveu:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've installed mongrel to check it out and want to go back to using
>> webrick as default when i type server/script to run my server. How can I
>> do this? I know that I can just type server/script webrick but i'd
>> prefer to have it as default.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> you can 'gem remove mongrel'
> or make a alias if you are using unix:
> alias "webrick=./script/server webrick"
> (in last case, add also it to your ~/.profile:
> echo ' alias "webrick=./script/server webrick" ' >> ~/.profile)
>

> Tom Lobato

for some reason i can't run the remove command. When i do i get

mrmaster@mrmaster-laptop:~/Desktop$ gem remove mongrel
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
    Unknown command remove

how can i fix this?
4b0889adddec0b9bae5435e0c233b1e3?d=identicon&s=25 Davo (Guest)
Try 'gem uninstall mongrel'
( if you have more than one version you will be asked which one )
Dave

On Nov 30, 3:19 pm, Mrmaster Mrmaster <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
201e47df9aaf250e6aa21fd2fbe6b287?d=identicon&s=25 pixelhandler (Guest)
Or, just start your app: ruby script/server webrick

On Nov 29, 7:12 pm, Mrmaster Mrmaster <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
Fceacbe62c32d679cb1fe535ed7fa70c?d=identicon&s=25 Mrmaster Mrmaster (mrmaster)
on 2008-11-30 16:47
Davo wrote:
> Try 'gem uninstall mongrel'
> ( if you have more than one version you will be asked which one )
> Dave
>

> On Nov 30, 3:19�pm, Mrmaster Mrmaster <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

With the unistall command I get this error:
mrmaster@mrmaster-laptop:~/Desktop$ gem uninstall mongrel
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::InstallError)
    Unknown gem mongrel >= 0

Should I try to reinstall ruby since non of the commands are working?
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bobnation (Guest)
I'm just curious as to why you want to remove Mongrel, just a general
question.

I would really add +1 to the idea of just adding in an alias in
your .bashrc file just to make the server easier to start.

On Nov 30, 9:47 am, Mrmaster Mrmaster <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
Fceacbe62c32d679cb1fe535ed7fa70c?d=identicon&s=25 Mrmaster Mrmaster (mrmaster)
on 2008-11-30 17:06
Bobnation wrote:
> I'm just curious as to why you want to remove Mongrel, just a general
> question.
>
> I would really add +1 to the idea of just adding in an alias in
> your .bashrc file just to make the server easier to start.
>
> On Nov 30, 9:47�am, Mrmaster Mrmaster <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

I really don't know the difference between mongrel and webrick so it is
not a technical dislike. I just started out using webrick and wanted to
continue using it but more importantly it seems that remove/unistall
commands in my gem is broken and I would like to fix them or know how to
fix them for the future problems that might occur.
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bobnation (Guest)
Can you run gem update and that works fine? What gem version are you
using?

On Nov 30, 10:06 am, Mrmaster Mrmaster <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
Fceacbe62c32d679cb1fe535ed7fa70c?d=identicon&s=25 Mrmaster Mrmaster (mrmaster)
on 2008-11-30 20:43
Bobnation wrote:
> Can you run gem update and that works fine? What gem version are you
> using?
>
> On Nov 30, 10:06�am, Mrmaster Mrmaster <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

I used gem update and gem update --system and both said nothing to
update. I think i'm running gems 1.3.1 but i'm not sure since i can't
find the check version command.
If you're running OS X 10.5 and using the system provided install of
ruby, the way it is setup means that gem doesn't know how to remove
the gems that ship with Leopard (ie the ones in /System/Library/...)

Fred

On Nov 30, 7:43 pm, Mrmaster Mrmaster <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
Fceacbe62c32d679cb1fe535ed7fa70c?d=identicon&s=25 Mrmaster Mrmaster (mrmaster)
on 2008-11-30 21:02
Frederick Cheung wrote:
> If you're running OS X 10.5 and using the system provided install of
> ruby, the way it is setup means that gem doesn't know how to remove
> the gems that ship with Leopard (ie the ones in /System/Library/...)
>
> Fred
>
> On Nov 30, 7:43�pm, Mrmaster Mrmaster <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

I'm using ubuntu 8.10 as mentioned in my first post :).
Fceacbe62c32d679cb1fe535ed7fa70c?d=identicon&s=25 Mrmaster Mrmaster (mrmaster)
on 2008-11-30 21:04
Frederick Cheung wrote:
> If you're running OS X 10.5 and using the system provided install of
> ruby, the way it is setup means that gem doesn't know how to remove
> the gems that ship with Leopard (ie the ones in /System/Library/...)
>
> Fred
>
> On Nov 30, 7:43�pm, Mrmaster Mrmaster <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

Sorry that was a different post, well anyway I'm using ubuntu 8.10 with

actionmailer (2.2.2)
actionpack (2.2.2)
activerecord (2.2.2)
activeresource (2.2.2)