Forum: Ruby on Rails git .gitignore vs exclude file

D3fe2dc4435cdd79e58d3e1380a557a1?d=identicon&s=25 Ruby Freak (Guest)
I am a bit confused about the different purpose of each.
I think the .gitignore file belongs in the root of my project and is
project specific, but that also seems to be the reason for the .git/
info/exclude file

what happens if they conflict? which one wins.

What is standard practice?

My exclude file looks like this
# git-ls-files --others --exclude-from=.git/info/exclude
log/*.log
tmp/**/*
.DS_Store
doc/api
doc/app

I am on Hardy Heron, isn't a .DS_Store a mac thang?

Should that all just be in my .gitignore file, which is empty?

Sorry for so many questions, but I can't find shit about git on the
internet.(what a twit)

Thanks in advance

TeeDub
B14575f0ca69f10938fdd67e7156e0e1?d=identicon&s=25 Craig Demyanovich (Guest)
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Ruby Freak <twscannell@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My exclude file looks like this
> # git-ls-files --others --exclude-from=.git/info/exclude
> log/*.log
> tmp/**/*
> .DS_Store
> doc/api
> doc/app
>
> I am on Hardy Heron, isn't a .DS_Store a mac thang?

Yes, .DS_Store is Mac-specific. Since the Mac is a very common platform
for
Ruby/Rails work, it's nice to list that file in your exclusions.

Should that all just be in my .gitignore file, which is empty?

> Sorry for so many questions, but I can't find shit about git on the
> internet.(what a twit)

Very hard to believe. :-) Here is a good place to look, though:
http://git-scm.com/ .

Regards,
Craig
Af2ce6689213fdb78913a9662b18da6b?d=identicon&s=25 Rick (Guest)
Hey TeeDub,

Start here: http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/

google is your friend too

Rick