Forum: Ruby Learning by example: reading ruby code

A74096209c78118ff69d50a51129d697?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Lillywhite (jlillywh)
on 2008-11-25 21:17
I would like to take an existing Ruby program and read through the
source code to learn how someone else would program. Ideally for me it
would not be Rails, but something in just pure Ruby to help me learn to
be a better programmer. Can someone point me in a good direction?

Thank you.
0158871402c1ecfa57952e8a379cfd10?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Lucraft (lucraft)
on 2008-11-25 21:45
Jason Lillywhite wrote:
> I would like to take an existing Ruby program and read through the
> source code to learn how someone else would program. Ideally for me it
> would not be Rails, but something in just pure Ruby to help me learn to
> be a better programmer. Can someone point me in a good direction?
>
> Thank you.

RubyGems: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
Rake: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=50
Mongrel: http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/
Merb: http://github.com/wycats/merb/tree/master

Actually.... I should do this too :)

best,
Dan
Jason Lillywhite wrote:
> I would like to take an existing Ruby program and read through the
> source code to learn how someone else would program. Ideally for me it
> would not be Rails, but something in just pure Ruby to help me learn to
> be a better programmer. Can someone point me in a good direction?

A similar question was asked about a month ago. You can see the
suggestions at
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/166560

My choice:

HTH,