Forum: Ruby Ruby's new website

F745d7fbe0dbe947aa1082aabb2b6a4f?d=identicon&s=25 Redd Vinylene (reddvinylene)
Is it just me, or is Ruby's new website way too much? A jumble of bad
ideas some'd say, or an amateur's attempt at being fancy. I'd say it's
not really coherent with what Ruby really is. Whatever happened to
"Perfection is achieved, not when there's nothing left to add, but
when there's nothing left to take away"? Anybody ever read the book
"Don't make me think"? Basically it's like this. The more stuff you
add, the more you'll confuse people. Like now when I visit Ruby's
website I'm just struck by all the stuff that's there. Confused, I
take a closer look and try to make sense of things. As oppose to
immediately soaking it all up, had it been simple, like Ruby's old
website. Also, the less you add, the lesser the risk of something
going wrong, out of fashion or whatever. I guess timeless design is no
design at all. Thank you.
7a561ec0875fcbbe3066ea8fe288ec77?d=identicon&s=25 Sebastian Hungerecker (Guest)
Redd Vinylene wrote:
> Is it just me, or is Ruby's new website way too much?

What new website? ruby-lang.org looks the same it always did to me.
From: "Redd Vinylene" <reddvinylene@gmail.com>

> Is it just me, or is Ruby's new website way too much?

Are we talking about this site? http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/

To me, it appears to present its information in a friendly,
helpful, well-organized manner.

Regards,

Bill
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Sebastian Hungerecker
<sepp2k@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Redd Vinylene wrote:
>> Is it just me, or is Ruby's new website way too much?
>
> What new website? ruby-lang.org looks the same it always did to me.

Copy that, however there is one suggestion I'd like to make.
Maybe a link to the 1.9 download would be appropriate by now ( I mean
a more prominent than in the "Other News" section).
Likewise it might be nice to link to alternative implementations
(*you* surely have heard of JRuby, but has the Newby? And that holds
even more for Rubinus et.al.).

Just 0.02$
Cheers
Robert
D337e2cf7c6d03caac6988d83e0e7f66?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Guterl (mguterl)
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Redd Vinylene <reddvinylene@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is it just me, or is Ruby's new website way too much? A jumble of bad
> ideas some'd say, or an amateur's attempt at being fancy.

A lot of people are going to read the last sentence above and write
you off as an ass.  Instead of posting this rant, you could design
something yourself and put it out there for everyone to see.  Then we
could all comment on how much better your design is and whether it
should replace the current.

Grrr.

Michael Guterl