Forum: Ruby on Rails is there plan for rails 3.0 based on merb?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
1660fbd8d5b6db11047ed7f034a171a1?d=identicon&s=25 sliu (Guest)
on 2008-11-20 09:09
(Received via mailing list)
Sorry for my rudeness.

I really appreciate rails core team who bring and maintain the great
rails framework. I learned and benefited a lot and a lot.

as merb is coming out, its purpose and strategy overlaps with rails
everywhere.
As I know, it was borned for rescue some *old* rails shortcomings,
I dived into codes of both, for now, rails still have some
architecture problems, while merb is clean but young.

Since rails core team is always exposing courage to throw dirties
away, is there any plan to merge merb and rails into one big thing?

In my opinion, merb is more like rails 3.0 after a throughout
refactory.

By the way, I play with merb at part time and use rails for work.

I digged nearly every corner of rails source code to add my
extensions. for example,make STI accept foreign_type_mapping to
customize the mapping between column value and subclass name.

I suffered a lot to hack rails code everywhere for customize it. I
really think that rails need a throughout refactory before I met merb.
(I offered little feedbacks to community because we are basing on
rails 1.2.6, please forgive me for that. and I  posted several tech
articles to native language forums)

I know there are lots of problems if merge them together: technique
reason, preference reason, politics reason...

http://brainspl.at/articles/2008/04/25/hey-rails-nice-rack

Ezra Zygmuntowicz  said 6 days later:
@Kevin- At this point merb is not going anywhere. If the rails core
team wanted to get radical and decide to build rails 3.0 on top of
merb-core technology then I might consider merging the two projects.
But I think that would take a lot of politics and I'm not sure if they
would agree to it. So don't fret, merb is here to stay unless the
rails-core has a drastic change of heart. And the code base for merb
is *way* more simple and scalable for the future since it has no
baggage. So expect merb to stick around and innovate for a long time
to come. I just figured that there is no reason for everyone using
Rails to suffer when I could spend a few weeks and improve a bunch of
stuff for folks.


Anyway, Is there any possibility to merge them?
Cffe91a6cc6e6ce8213ed575821dadf7?d=identicon&s=25 Anatoly Mikhailov (mikhailov)
on 2008-12-23 22:21
It was happen!
http://railsgeek.com/2008/12/23/rails-3-rails-and-merb-merge

sliu wrote:
> Sorry for my rudeness.
>
> I really appreciate rails core team who bring and maintain the great
> rails framework. I learned and benefited a lot and a lot.
>
> as merb is coming out, its purpose and strategy overlaps with rails
> everywhere.
> As I know, it was borned for rescue some *old* rails shortcomings,
> I dived into codes of both, for now, rails still have some
> architecture problems, while merb is clean but young.
>
556fa76457d930880bea41a80a848867?d=identicon&s=25 Martin No (html-kurs)
on 2008-12-23 23:19
(Received via mailing list)
Anatoly Mikhailov schrieb:
> It was happen!
> http://railsgeek.com/2008/12/23/rails-3-rails-and-merb-merge
>

Maybe that's good for rails. But I think it's horrible for me: Each time
  I think I know a little bit more about rails there's something new in
the next rails version.
First I read about rails 1.0. But in rails 1.2 everything has changed
what was covered in every rails 1.0 tutorial.
Then I read about test driven development. But now behaviour driven
development is the preferred way.
Instead of html.erb you better use haml.
So let's wait and see what rails 3.0 will bring up...

Martin
90e140f8553ecdec1b0d7dbf608a0561?d=identicon&s=25 Pau Cor (phylae)
on 2008-12-23 23:35
Martin No wrote:
> Anatoly Mikhailov schrieb:
>> It was happen!
>> http://railsgeek.com/2008/12/23/rails-3-rails-and-merb-merge
>>
>
> Maybe that's good for rails. But I think it's horrible for me: Each time
>   I think I know a little bit more about rails there's something new in
> the next rails version.
> First I read about rails 1.0. But in rails 1.2 everything has changed
> what was covered in every rails 1.0 tutorial.
> Then I read about test driven development. But now behaviour driven
> development is the preferred way.
> Instead of html.erb you better use haml.
> So let's wait and see what rails 3.0 will bring up...
>
> Martin

As Matz says, if you don't move forward, you die (paraphrasing, of
course).

Besides, all those things you bring up will be handled BETTER in Rails
3.0. First you will have a public API. This means the rails core team
will be committed to keeping that API the same. So you don't have to
'un-learn' so much stuff when upgrading to future versions. Second,
Rails 3.0 will be more modular, so you can more easily swap out parts
you don't want.
9a2a53db8e9b4476038c94a64b32833f?d=identicon&s=25 Ryan Bigg (ryan-bigg)
on 2008-12-24 07:34
(Received via mailing list)
Rails 3.0 is going to bring script/generate site [digg|facebook|
myspace|lastfm]
-----
Ryan Bigg
Freelancer
http://frozenplague.net
Be07c8d0d6867fd9a0d525f7d17600e2?d=identicon&s=25 Damjan Rems (ther)
on 2008-12-24 13:09
My colegue once sad. Where there are more solutions none of them is
good, because if one was good enough no one would use anything else. (I
guess he didn't heard for democracy at the time ;-)

It is great news to hear that two (nonperfect) solutions are about to
merge to make a better world for all of us, Ruby lovers. We just hope
that spirit of the christmas time will extend to new year when the work
will have to  be done.

Marry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone


by
TheR
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.