Forum: Ruby how do you run ruby on windows

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
F1f64ada61619d15b958b1ad5164c601?d=identicon&s=25 equinox (Guest)
on 2008-11-19 22:35
(Received via mailing list)
Okay so I've downloaded the One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows and
installed it well under C:\Program Files\ruby
and now what do I need to do to use it? I've gone into the command
line and try to execute some commands but it doesn't work.. where do I
need to put the .rb files to?
9d4960f8319664f0f7896230eebace73?d=identicon&s=25 Glen Holcomb (Guest)
on 2008-11-19 22:46
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 2:31 PM, equinox <aditya15417@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay so I've downloaded the One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows and
> installed it well under C:\Program Files\ruby
> and now what do I need to do to use it? I've gone into the command
> line and try to execute some commands but it doesn't work.. where do I
> need to put the .rb files to?
>
>
Is the ruby binary in your path?  Are you typing the following:  ruby
file.rb

--
"Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak
so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
F1f64ada61619d15b958b1ad5164c601?d=identicon&s=25 equinox (Guest)
on 2008-11-19 22:50
(Received via mailing list)
On Nov 19, 2:41 pm, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> file.rb
>
> --
> "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions speak
> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

no it is not in my path, I am using irb as of now.. I have tried to
load it in the irb
but it doesn't work...
03394cad6c346c9cccef6390e8f7cd89?d=identicon&s=25 Andy Cooper (Guest)
on 2008-11-19 23:21
(Received via mailing list)
Make sure that you have your path setup correctly first, the installer
should have done this for you if you selected that option.

I used to forget to make sure that I was in the same folder as whatever
file that I wanted to require into my IRB session before I started.  I
just created a folder C:\rubyscripts\ that I navigate to before I start
doing anything it is also where I store all my ruby scripts amazingly
enough.
9d4960f8319664f0f7896230eebace73?d=identicon&s=25 Glen Holcomb (Guest)
on 2008-11-19 23:24
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 2:46 PM, equinox <aditya15417@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is the ruby binary in your path?  Are you typing the following:  ruby
> load it in the irb
> but it doesn't work...
>

So you are trying to read a source file and execute the code in irb? To
do
that you need to type the following in your irb session:

source file_name.rb

--
"Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak
so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
F1f64ada61619d15b958b1ad5164c601?d=identicon&s=25 equinox (Guest)
on 2008-11-19 23:31
(Received via mailing list)
On Nov 19, 3:19 pm, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > installed it well under C:\Program Files\ruby
> > > so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
> source file_name.rb
>
> --
> "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions speak
> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

hmm..I think I need to load the file first right in irb using the load
command?
6d9fdb4fe716a92211de779a7e500821?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Tomer (michael_tomer)
on 2008-11-20 17:15
Just in case you are having trouble with your Windows path variable,
here's how to add a folder to it:

*Go to your desktop and right click "My Computer".

*Select "properties" from the menu.

*Click the "Advanced" tab.

*At the bottom of the window, there's a button labeled "Environment
Variables". Click it.

*There are two listboxes on the window, the bottom one is called "System
variables". Scroll through that box until you come across "Path". Select
"Path" and click the "Edit" button.

*Click the "Variable value" textbox and hit the "End" key on your
keyboard. Type a semi-colon followed by the absolute path to your ruby
bin folder.

Also, you can always check what folder IRB is running in by typing
"Dir.pwd". You can get a list of all the .rb file in the folder IRB is
currently operating in with "Dir.glob('*.rb')". Also, you can change the
path that IRB is operating in with "Dir.chdir('c:\my_ruby_files\')".
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.