Forum: JRuby jruby nuby guide

74af5f2cbafd44095efcee0ee0261fcd?d=identicon&s=25 Marlon Moyer (Guest)
Hi all,

I've been messing around with jruby on and off for a couple of
months.  Currently, I use linux vm's, passenger fusion and matz's ruby
deploy.  Our company is mostly microsoft and it would be nice to be
able to deploy to an existing machine.  The problem is, I don't even
know where to start setting up a deployment environment.  The closest
I've got is that fact that I run Coldfusion servers that run on top of
JRun.

Does anyone know of a good guide on setting up a java application
server and integrating it with IIS?

Thanks

Hi Marlon,

GlassFish/NetBeans provides a seamless development/deployment platform
for your need:

- With JRuby do "gem install glassfish" and this will install GlassFish
gem in your JRuby installation. Then you can create your Rails
application and deploy it easily by running the command "glassfish". All
of this is explained at:

http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=Deplo...

Explained more at the end of the following blog:

http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/getting_start...

- If you are interested for a full-blown app server, then you can
download GlassFish v3 Prelude from:

sun.com/glassfishv3

and develop/run/debug your applications using NetBeans as described at:

http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/screencast_26...

And you can even buy production support on this container.

The Web services stack in GlassFish v3 also interoperates very nicely
with .NET platform in case you have that requirement.

Thanks,
-Arun

Marlon Moyer wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good guide on setting up a java application
> server and integrating it with IIS?
>
> Thanks

Application Platform, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Blog: http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta

Hi there -

At work we have a Windows setup that is similar to your environment.
Here is
what we did:

1. Set up Apache on port 80 with SSL and ProxyPass
2. Set up Tomcat with Connector entry (just uncomment server.xml where
it
says port 8009) for ProxyPass
3. Set up IIS on any port besides 80
4. Set up your proxypass rules so that Apache forwards to IIS when
necessary
(for our stuff we just mapped our dot net apps to /legacy since they are
older, so just have Apache forward any url with /legacy to IIS)

It works quite well. I like that Apache is at the front, it really
allows
for some flexible control. Anyway, I've been meaning to write a guide on
the
specifics of this setup but have lacked the motivation to do so because
didn't think it would be useful. I can start on that if you'd want it.
It
would take me a couple weeks though.

Hope this helps,
Jin