Forum: GNU Radio TI open source tools

E16be4811324adf8f26be26d77e9d29d?d=identicon&s=25 Bob McGwier (Guest)
In the squeaky wheel gets the grease category,  I have two things.  The
story about the removal of the open source Linux tools.  It was a
mistake
and caused by disorganized placement of tools in their directory
structure.
The second thing is I have been given personal assurances from the
people in
charge that TI is UTTERLY committed to open source tools.   They are
providing me with an ftp site for the tools and are reconstituting the
web
site as quickly as possible.

THANK YOU TI and friends who helped get this resolved.  I would say we
can
proceed with our open source SDR work using the TI parts.

Bob

N4HY

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair

NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.

" Don't despair, not even over the fact that you don't despair. ", Kafka
74a5f0d4e1615193d25815690cacc5bc?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Maxwell (Guest)
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Bob McGwier <rwmcgwier@gmail.com>
wrote:
> In the squeaky wheel gets the grease category,  I have two things.  The
> story about the removal of the open source Linux tools.  It was a mistake
> and caused by disorganized placement of tools in their directory structure.
> The second thing is I have been given personal assurances from the people in
> charge that TI is UTTERLY committed to open source tools.   They are
> providing me with an ftp site for the tools and are reconstituting the web
> site as quickly as possible.

TI does not have open source tools for their DSPs, it would appear you
are again mistaken.  They have proprietary tools available at no cost
for open source developers to build software for their products.

Regardless of their statements to you, the license agreement reads
otherwise and they could withdraw the tools at any time. If they like
to demonstrate the kind of "utter" commitment that you're crediting
them above then they could release their DSP toolchain  software under
an open source license, or at least enter into a binding legal
agreement the prevents the withdraw of the tools.

In any case, I'm glad to hear that your initial claim was mistaken and
that they hadn't done such a foolish thing today.  Now you can
continue your uncompensated labour helping them sell their products.
:)
9c2ab60bcd7045e9acc36aa8074a3336?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Balister (Guest)
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com>
wrote:
> TI does not have open source tools for their DSPs, it would appear you
> In any case, I'm glad to hear that your initial claim was mistaken and
> that they hadn't done such a foolish thing today.  Now you can
> continue your uncompensated labour helping them sell their products.
> :)

We are working on changing the world one day at a time.

I'd love to see someone take this work:

http://mailman.tu-chemnitz.de/pipermail/gcc-c6x/20...

and complete it, then write an open source dsp bios like system.

Until then working with TI to gain better access to DSP tools is the
easiest appraoch. Hopefully, we can start learning the ins and outs of
DSP programming and build a knowledgable user community so we can code
around problems with licenses. (and for any TI guys listening, create
more demand for your silicon)

Philip
E16be4811324adf8f26be26d77e9d29d?d=identicon&s=25 Bob McGwier (Guest)
It is supportive of open source development and while that is not
enough, it
is enough for now. While we would all like for them open source on their
tools, this is a good first step.

They are committed to open source projects as stated in the many pages
here:

http://focus-webapps.ti.com/general/docs/sitesearc...
opic=1653260327&searchTerm=open+source+development+tools&Input=New+Search

This is a trial period for them to show it makes sense.  The people who
support this at TI are committed and have several things happening in
the
industry that is helping them win the day.  You will see in the links
above
the commitment to Android, and more.

I do not disparage them for taking these first steps but congratulate
them.

Bob