Forum: JRuby need to hire a java/ruby/jruby web application developer (Boston)

6f608b6766f79343062a2aa3985933dc?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Bannasch (Guest)
At 7:48 AM +0100 11/18/08, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>Go ahead and post to the list, and prefix with "Charlie suggested I
>post..." so nobody gives you a hard time.

;-)

We're looking to find a senior web developer with Java and Ruby
experience -- and preferably JRuby experience.

   http://www.concord.org/about/opportunities/2008-se...

We're located in Concord Massachusetts 30 minutes west of of Boston
and we are a tax-exempt non-profit R&D group focused on developing
and adapting technology for education. We mainly work on K12 science
education.

Check out this page for a brief overview of the framework technology
were developing to support the authoring and deployment of rich
activities to schools.

   http://confluence.concord.org/display/CSP/Intro+to...

--

-- Stephen Bannasch
    Director of Technology, Concord Consortium

Has the job market really gone this far south because of the state of
the economy? (I'm looking at the salary range and considering the
level and kinds of experience being sought. It strikes me as a
significant mismatch.)

I don't mean to rain on your job posting. It's a sincere question, I
swear . . .

On  18 Nov, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Stephen Bannasch wrote:

--
Bill Kocik

>Has the job market really gone this far south because of the state of the economy? (I'm
looking at the salary range and considering the level and kinds of experience being
sought. It strikes me as a significant mismatch.)

>I don't mean to rain on your job posting. It's a sincere question, I swear . . .

Maybe we need to raise it ;-)

That's possible to get the right candidate.

We haven't hired this kind of position (at this level) before.

As a non-profit we do however in general pay less than industry -- that
works for some people if the other benefits of working here outweigh the
salary discount.

The salary range looks OK to me, given the required experience level is
about 3 years.  Maybe Bill has been over-paid all the time...  ;)

Cheers,
Chiaming Hsu

Disclaimer - I have been an engineering manager since 2000 in Southern
California, and currently working in a 40-person engineering department
(also at the manager level).  The statement above is solely based on my
own experience as a hiring manager for the employment condition in
Southern California over the past 8 years here.

On  18 Nov, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Chiaming Hsu wrote:

> The salary range looks OK to me, given the required experience level
> is about 3 years.

Well, 3 years minimum.

>  Maybe Bill has been over-paid all the time...  ;)

I can't deny it. A couple weeks ago a recruiter offered to introduce
me to "the company that will finally pay you what you're worth". I
replied, "If I were paid what I'm worth I'd starve. I don't want
anything to do with that." :)

So I don't have to spam the list with a 2nd message: Stephen, thanks
for your reply. Hope my question didn't offend.

--
Bill Kocik