New (potential) user + question

Hi,

This is my first post to this list.
I’m a sound artist and I’ve just started to explore the world of
software radio and have been eavesdropping on this list for a while
and have a few questions. There seems to be a large body of dedicated
users out there. I’m curious as to what kinds of things people use
gnuradio for. Are there any other sound artists or the like here
using software radio in their work?

Also, I’m worried about diving into the deep-end and buying a USRP
package without being really sure it’s what I need. Are there any
cheaper alternatives or other possibilities to get a taste of what
software radio is all about?

Best wishes,
Peter

Peter O’Doherty
http://www.peterodoherty.net
http://www.myspace.com/peterodoherty

Hi,

If you want to use gnuradio in your sound work only (not doing any RF
work), I dont think you will need the USRP. All what you need is your PC
sound card and the gnuradio software.

Best regards,

Firas

From: Peter O’Doherty [email protected]
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] New (potential) user + question
To: [email protected]
Date: Monday, November 17, 2008, 9:44 PM

Hi,
This is my first post to this list. I’m a sound artist and I’ve just
started to explore the world of software radio and have been
eavesdropping on this list for a while and have a few questions. There
seems to be a large body of dedicated users out there. I’m curious as to
what kinds of things people use gnuradio for. Are there any other sound
artists or the like here using software radio in their work? Â
Also, I’m worried about diving into the deep-end and buying a USRP
package without being really sure it’s what I need. Are there any
cheaper alternatives or other possibilities to get a taste of what
software radio is all about?
Best wishes,Peter

----Peter
O’Dohertyhttp://www.peterodoherty.nethttp://www.myspace.com/peterodoherty----

Thanks for your helpful replies.

I installed the software and got it up and running without any
problems and had a look at the examples. However, I think to use it
to its full potential I will have to get a USRP. As far as I can
tell, the signal processing components are pretty much available to
me on the audio packages I already use (eg. SuperCollider) but the
prospect of manipulating radio signals via USRP+gnuradio+
my_audiopackage is exciting. Do you think this is a feasible way to
approach it?

Thanks again,

Peter O’Doherty-2 wrote:
I think to use it to its full potential I will have to get a USRP.

With USRP you will have all the FUN.

the prospect of manipulating radio signals via USRP+gnuradio+
my_audiopackage is exciting. Do you think this is a feasible way to
approach it?

Sorry, I didn’t understand your question clearly.

Best regards,

Firas

http://www.nabble.com/New-(potential)-user-%2B-question-tp20545530p20562541.html