Forum: Ruby on Rails no. of comments

Eee471acf715d52961737ef892c71c56?d=identicon&s=25 rails (Guest)
Hello
This is possibly a very simple question... I have posts that have
comments. All fine... I wanted to add a link to my display page (the
one that shows x posts) for comments... but I wanted to show if it
has 3 comments, No comments and so on. Can someone point me in the
right direction. The comments table contains the post_id. So I need a
method in my post.rb model:
def count_comments
   @mycount = ?
end
Any pointers appreciated...
Thanks
24d2f8804e6bb4b7ea6bd11e0a586470?d=identicon&s=25 jeremy (Guest)
437d27bcbaab9563f8ed479870933bc7?d=identicon&s=25 dcabbar (Guest)

I have recently started looking at RoR and it looks
very promising for sure... In fact, I would like to
start using it right away and implement one of my
sites with RoR, which needs to be phased into
production in about 1-2 months. It will start as a
small site, hence will use shared hosting in the
beginning, but then probably will be moved to
VPS/dedicated after couple of months...

However, I am a bit worried about how to host the
site... I have been trying to find a reliable "shared"
hosting solution for RoR, but did not have any luck.
Right now, as far as I can see, the main hosting
companies are: Site5, DreamHost and TextDrive.

TextDrive seems to be nice for development purposes,
but looking at their uptime records, it is not
possible to use it for production.

Both, Site5 & DreamHost look like they are still
experimenting with it, hence not suitable for
production purposes.

So, in summary, can you guys please share your
experience regarding this?

Thanks...

On 9 Nov 2005, at 23:55, Jeremy Kemper wrote:

>> end
>> Any pointers appreciated...
>

> post.comments.size
>
> It'll issue a count(*) from comments where post_id=? if comments
> isn't already loaded.
>
> Also see the :counter_cache option for belongs_to.

Ah, thanks Jeremy... it was that simple :)
Ff43001ac5fe9805aa6ca2e89d3b7b5d?d=identicon&s=25 jake (Guest)
My host (SonataWeb) is currently supporting it, but I don't have much to
go
by to give you any information on how well.  I'll start putting some
stuff
up there to experiment with in the near future.

   Jake
6c27f78ab0eee78732ae54e8b8718b84?d=identicon&s=25 david.felstead (Guest)
Hi Cabbar,

Site5's RoR setup is pretty solid at the moment - in fact, we (at
Site5 - I'm a senior engineer there) are about to release a major
customer-facing production system based on Rails shortly (called
Flashback, currently being beta tested by a select group of our
customers - shameless teaser plug here:
http://karmiccoding.com/articles/2005/10/24/flashb...),
which we would not be doing if we had any stability issues.

Hope that helps!

David Felstead
466c8ae1fea52fcdab4ec124ea82bbb5?d=identicon&s=25 justin.french (Guest)
On 10/11/2005, at 11:05 AM, Cabbar Duzayak wrote:

> TextDrive seems to be nice for development purposes,
> but looking at their uptime records, it is not
> possible to use it for production.

Actually, we (TextDrive) are *not* fine for development purposes, and
that's the problem.  Rails sites in development mode, or being
restarted every 15 seconds by developers looking for somewhere to
develop or stage their app instead of HOST it are absolutely killing
our servers.  Add in a whole bunch of Lighty installs running 4, 10
or even 40 FCGIs instead of 2, and *any* host with our ratio of Rails
applications would have a problem.

We're not that far away (a month or so) from releasing RailsBase
(formerly RailsAppHosting).

Half of our development team have been working with Ben Myles around
the clock for months and months -- it's a purpose built cluster of
servers specifically and exclusively for Rails with SCGI, Lighty, SVN
and a suite of tools that make developing, deploying, updating and
managing Rails apps a breeze.

I'm not hyping it, I'm just telling you what we're doing.

> Both, Site5 & DreamHost look like they are still
> experimenting with it, hence not suitable for
> production purposes.

Well, to the best of my knowledge, they're both running mod_fastcgi
under Apache, and that simply won't scale in a shared hosting
environment.  If they haven't realised that yet, they will soon.

Regards,

Justin French
---
http://www.justinfrench.com
http://www.textdrive.com
http://www.strongspace.com
E98de78bb42013c488fe8aa9d77d2cb1?d=identicon&s=25 steve.odom (Guest)
> We're not that far away (a month or so) from releasing RailsBase
> (formerly RailsAppHosting).

This is news. I thought you guys were going to launch in mid-October and
that launch was imminent any day. I really don't know what I'm going to
do
about hosting based on these comments.

Steve
On 10/11/2005, at 3:01 PM, Steve Odom wrote:

> This is news. I thought you guys were going to launch in mid-
> October and that launch was imminent any day. I really don't know
> what I'm going to do about hosting based on these comments.

What can I say?  The truth is we probably should have said nothing,
announced nothing, etc.  But we did, and we were wrong.  We changed
our minds on a few things, decided to make a lot changes to hardware
and plan specifications (ultimately making this a much better service
than it ever would have been back in September or October), and we
need more time to make sure it's right.

Justin
Fb7947fdf96a2811ea79d7aef3cbf260?d=identicon&s=25 ryan (Guest)
Sounds like an awsome decision and an honest answer...  Much better than
doing what every other business does by rushing to get something out the
door when it isnt ready, and then burn the customers after they have
their
money...

+1 props

--Ryan