Forum: Ruby on Rails Deploying Production Rails on Windows Server

7da8011a65d9f71123846e118a6b4d62?d=identicon&s=25 iplat (Guest)
Hello Everyone,

I'm in need of a good guide that will describe how to deploy Rails in
a production environment on windows. Unfortunately, I have no choice
on the platform so I need to find something that will help me through
this painful task. I'd like to know the best way and any links to
guides to deploy a production ready rails application.

Thanks in advance!
34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
iplat wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm in need of a good guide that will describe how to deploy Rails in
> a production environment on windows. Unfortunately, I have no choice
> on the platform so I need to find something that will help me through
> this painful task. I'd like to know the best way and any links to
> guides to deploy a production ready rails application.
>
> Thanks in advance!

If I remember correctly, Ezra's "Deploying Rails Applications" does have
a section on Windows.
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/fr_deploy/deploying...

Cheers,
Mohit.
11/13/2008 | 11:06 PM.
Bef7ff8a0537495a1876ffebdc9f8e51?d=identicon&s=25 Lionel Bouton (Guest)
iplat a écrit, le 11/13/2008 04:04 PM :
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm in need of a good guide that will describe how to deploy Rails in
> a production environment on windows. Unfortunately, I have no choice
> on the platform

You can't use VMware ? IIRC, Ruby is faster in a Linux virtual machine
than in Windows itself...

Lionel
7da8011a65d9f71123846e118a6b4d62?d=identicon&s=25 iplat (Guest)
I got this book. I'll take a look at it thanks.
7da8011a65d9f71123846e118a6b4d62?d=identicon&s=25 iplat (Guest)
How does VMware fare for network routing and resource sharing? Do you
know of an article that describes deploying this with VMWare? Thanks!

On Nov 13, 9:17 am, Lionel Bouton <lionel-subscript...@bouton.name>
7da8011a65d9f71123846e118a6b4d62?d=identicon&s=25 iplat (Guest)
Do you think the same idea will hold for VirtualBox over VMWare?
iplat a écrit, le 11/13/2008 04:50 PM :
> How does VMware fare for network routing and resource sharing? Do you
> know of an article that describes deploying this with VMWare? Thanks!

If you never used VMWare that might not be the best solution for you.
What do you mean by network routing exactly ? What I had in mind is
simply to setup a whole Linux system with it's own IP address and
sharing the real network card cable with the virtual network card to
make things transparent. I'm not sure which resources you need to share
so I can't comment.

Lionel
iplat a écrit, le 11/13/2008 05:14 PM :
> Do you think the same idea will hold for VirtualBox over VMWare?

Any virtualization solution should do the trick as long as you know how
to use it and have an IP address to give to the virtual computer on the
same network than the one the real machine is connected to. You may even
avoid using another IP address if your Windows server can be configured
to redirect traffic to another address (one on a network only used for
communications between the real host and the virtual one).

Lionel
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Lionel Bouton
<lionel-subscription@bouton.name> wrote:

> Any virtualization solution should do the trick as long as you know how
> to use it and have an IP address to give to the virtual computer on the
> same network than the one the real machine is connected to. You may even
> avoid using another IP address if your Windows server ...

FWIW, VMWare, at least, is capable of both "bridging" (using an IP
specific to the virtual machine) and NAT, where the VM shares the
IP of the host.

7da8011a65d9f71123846e118a6b4d62?d=identicon&s=25 iplat (Guest)
There are lots of choices for VMWare products. VDI, vmware server etc.
Which is best suited for rails deployment?

On Nov 13, 10:19 am, Lionel Bouton <lionel-subscript...@bouton.name>
7da8011a65d9f71123846e118a6b4d62?d=identicon&s=25 iplat (Guest)
Holy cow, VMWare is expensive. I don't think is a choice any longer
for me.
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:04 AM, iplat <joe@iplat.net> wrote:

> Holy cow, VMWare is expensive.

So is Windows Server :-)

In any case, you can look into the free/open source options; I'm sure
they have comparable capabilities. But if you're talking about running
this in "production" your IT department might prefer a paid-for solution
with commercial support. Just something to consider.

Good luck!