Forum: GNU Radio grc and pyhton 2.5

C369ebbe1655201988e376af57460f23?d=identicon&s=25 Achilleas Anastasopoulos (Guest)

I have an observation that came up as I was trying to install gnruadio
on a system with python 2.4

The ./configure script didn't complain.
However, from the wiki I see that grc requires python 2.5 and above.
Indeed, grc didn't work with 2.4

I just thought I point it out so that this check can be incorporated in
the ./configure script.

Achilleas
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:36:51PM -0500, Achilleas Anastasopoulos
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an observation that came up as I was trying to install gnruadio
> on a system with python 2.4
>
> The ./configure script didn't complain.
> However, from the wiki I see that grc requires python 2.5 and above.
> Indeed, grc didn't work with 2.4
>
> I just thought I point it out so that this check can be incorporated in
p> the ./configure script.

> Achilleas

Josh,

Can you either modify GRC so that it runs with python 2.4 or modify
grc_grc.m4 so that it sets passed=no if python < 2.5?

Achilleas, as a work-around until this is fixed, please use

  ./configure --disable-grc ...

Thanks,
Eric
C369ebbe1655201988e376af57460f23?d=identicon&s=25 Achilleas Anastasopoulos (Guest)
That's not a problem.
However, I have a bigger problem to deal with:

I am pushing for a university wide (UoMichigan) installation of all
gnuradio prereqs.
So far we have a working gnuradio installation that builds all required
packages except grc!

The university network has python 2.4 installed with all third-party
packages, and also pyhton2.5 interpreter.

Is there any way I can tell the configure file to use python 2.4
and then use the 2.5 interpreter to run grc?

If this is possible it will save a lot of effort as we will not have to
install all these new packages for 2.5 as well.

Thanks
Achilleas
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 03:06:16PM -0500, Achilleas Anastasopoulos
wrote:

> Is there any way I can tell the configure file to use python 2.4
> and then use the 2.5 interpreter to run grc?
>
> If this is possible it will save a lot of effort as we will not have to
> install all these new packages for 2.5 as well.
>
> Thanks
> Achilleas

Let's see what it takes to reduce GRC's dependency to Python 2.4 instead
of 2.5.

Josh, are you out there?  Comments?

Eric
4252201ac30d6dd44d8090ce1070e35f?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Blum (Guest)
Yeah, Im here, I did it.

GRC wants python 2.5 (or above I say, but never tested). GRC is littered
with things from python2.5 that dont exist in the python2.4, relative
imports, some builtin functions, inline evaluation is somehow different.

Rather than become a burden on the configure, you just install grc with
whatever python gnuradio gets configured with. If its most systems,
python 2.5, it works, if its python 2.4, then nothing is hurt, grc just
dont work too well.

doing a configure option to disable grc in the case of python2.4 is not
too hard. Making it work with 2.4... thats another thing

-Jsoh
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:58:27PM -0500, Josh Blum wrote:

> doing a configure option to disable grc in the case of python2.4 is not
> too hard. Making it work with 2.4... thats another thing
>
> -Jsoh

Thanks for looking into this.  Can you fix the .m4 file to disable grc
if python < 2.5?

Eric