Forum: Ruby on Rails post-initializer hook?

0f50b9a2ad85666d537d39bda49327ee?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Rochkind (jrochkind)
on 2008-11-11 19:07
Is there any callback/hook for me to add some code to be called after
all initializers (config/initializers/*) are called, in Rails 2?

Or should I count on initializers being run in sort order and add one
called zzzz_after_all_initializers.rb or something?

Any advice?

Jonathan
On 11 Nov 2008, at 18:07, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> Is there any callback/hook for me to add some code to be called after
> all initializers (config/initializers/*) are called, in Rails 2?

config.after_initialize do

Fred
0f50b9a2ad85666d537d39bda49327ee?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Rochkind (jrochkind)
on 2008-11-11 19:31
Thanks Frederick. But, documentation and googling that led me to source
suggests that the after_initialize hook is called _before_
config/initializers are.

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/browser/tags/rel_2-0-0_...

114         after_initialize
115
116         load_application_initializers

Although I guess I'm looking at 2.0RC1 there. Not familiar enough with
navigating svn to find the latest release, is there reason to believe
this has changed?

I guess I can monkey-patch Rails::process, with the aliasing-switcharoo
trick, to first call the original Rails::process, and then call my own
really_really_after_initializers method?

Jonathan

On 11 Nov 2008, at 18:31, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> 116         load_application_initializers
>
> Although I guess I'm looking at 2.0RC1 there. Not familiar enough with
> navigating svn to find the latest release, is there reason to believe
> this has changed?

That was changed in 2.1 (which is what I looked at before i wrote my
previous reply)
> I guess I can monkey-patch Rails::process, with the aliasing-
> switcharoo
> trick, to first call the original Rails::process, and then call my own
> really_really_after_initializers method?

sounds reasonable if you have to.

Fred
0f50b9a2ad85666d537d39bda49327ee?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Rochkind (jrochkind)
on 2008-11-11 21:25
Awesome, thank you, I'll use 2.1 then, and count on the after_initialize
hook really actually being after the initializers.

Thanks for all your help, Fred.

Jonathan