Forum: Ruby on Rails Is Rails Scaffolding Production Ready

Afc4dcff69407649ec9c541a77b91e0a?d=identicon&s=25 Chas Lemley (Guest)
Is scaffolding in Rails production ready?  I've read a few opinions on
this,
but most were referring to the original style of scaffolding found in
rails.

Because scaffolding now creates the controller, models, views for me is
there anything I need to watch out for when trying to build upon this to
arrive at a production-ready product?

Thanks for the help.

Chas
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bobnation (Guest)
I'm not the best person to answer this, but I would caution you to "be
careful" nonetheless. Sometimes it is better to put in the work in
order to understand exactly how things are pieced together.

Just my thoughts.
D188e591eac11021329b8821a5f954c7?d=identicon&s=25 Ar Chron (railsdog)
on 2008-11-12 04:53
When one of my users asks for a new "feature" that involves a new model
and all the trimmings, I routinely scaffold up the prototype, do as
little code as I can to make it fit in with the application, then bring
them in for a test drive on my dev machine.

The scaffolded layouts don't match the app, and there's no styling, but
it assures that I interpreted their concept correctly.

Then it's time to perform surgery on all the scaffolded code and meld
the new bits into the production application.

Sooo, I wouldn't say that raw scaffolded code is production ready, but
it is certainly a fast track for prototyping.
On Nov 11, 9:53 pm, Ar Chron <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> Sooo, I wouldn't say that raw scaffolded code is production ready, but
> it is certainly a fast track for prototyping.
>
> --
Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Ar Chron
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net