Forum: Ruby on Rails Should I get Agile Web Development with Rails (Pragmatic Programmers) Book?

85d3874d827e87a79c8acb7f735c4ffe?d=identicon&s=25 bena (Guest)
I'm an experienced programmer, working for a lot of years in the
industry, and have been learning Ruby recently. I wondered if it was a
good idea to buy the Agile Web Development with Rails (Pragmatic
Programmers) book, or should I wait for an update for 2.0?

TIA

Ben
6f3f4fcb842db4b755cd8adc8bca67c6?d=identicon&s=25 ms (Guest)
Hello Ben,

I don't know, if you speak german, but if you do, I would wait for the
a newer version of the book to come and would read the galileo open
book in the meantime:
http://openbook.galileocomputing.de/ruby_on_rails/.
Maybe you'll find a open book in english language.

Greetings,
ms
3209b5c52f62e56092f26d87492f097f?d=identicon&s=25 Nicolas Alpi aka Spyou (Guest)
On their website you can have a preorder of the Hard Cover book, and
waiting for it, you'll the book on pdf (and you can regenerate it at
every update).

It works very well ;)

Nic
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bobnation (Guest)
On Nov 11, 8:31 am, Nicolas Alpi aka Spyou <nicolas.a...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On their website you can have a preorder of the Hard Cover book, and
> waiting for it, you'll the book on pdf (and you can regenerate it at
> every update).
>
> It works very well ;)
>
> Nic

Correct, you can get the Beta PDF (which I think is pretty complete)
and just follow along and get a "dead tree" copy when it is released.
You also might want to pick up Simply Rails 2 as a good place to
start, and also The Art of Rails as another good book. Both, I think,
cover Rails 2.x pretty well. I was able to use Simply Rails 2 with
2.1.1, so I hope that helps.
49de4cd2f26705785cbef2b15a9df7aa?d=identicon&s=25 Nick (Guest)
On Nov 11, 7:20 am, bena <benanderso...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm an experienced programmer, working for a lot of years in the
> industry, and have been learning Ruby recently. I wondered if it was a
> good idea to buy the Agile Web Development with Rails (Pragmatic
> Programmers) book, or should I wait for an update for 2.0?
>
> TIA
>
> Ben

G'day Ben. I highly recommend Agile Web Development With Rails. It
introduces and explains all sorts of Rails functionality and idioms in
very clear, easy-to-understand ways. I also found it more efficient
for getting started with, and learning Rails, than from reading
disjoint articles and blog posts on the intertubes. I'm very happy to
have bought the Beta PDF document.
-Nick
3ff9c2544554b13c6c7877e76684751b?d=identicon&s=25 Lee Smith (smitjel)
Besides the example depot application, I can't imagine the book
covering a great deal more than the new rails guides:

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/