Forum: GNU Radio how to access a variable in Verilog code from Python or C++

80e825d1e631c4d6681b39c0176c2f85?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Stevenson (Guest)
Hello, all!

I have searched the whole mailing list and find out there is a variable
in rssi.v file called rssi that is aimed to record rssi value, but i
don't understand how to access or read that value from our python code,
i am not very familiar with verilog, could someone please tell me how to
read that variable in python code? Thanks a lot!

Bill
Ac73d95c8ccddff9ecae369bcb80a923?d=identicon&s=25 George P Nychis (Guest)
In short, there is no supported mechanism in place to read it currently.

There was work by myself and others to enable a richer interface using
m-blocks which transferred this value to the host (where you could read
it), but a lack of support to get my work interfaced to the rest of GNU
Radio (python and regular gr-blocks) has killed my motivation.

My suggestions to you would be dependent on what you plan to do with the
value.

- George

80e825d1e631c4d6681b39c0176c2f85?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Stevenson (Guest)
Thank you, George. My plan is very simple, just to read the rssi value
whenever the receiver gets a valid packet, that's why i want to read and
store that value. If i cannot access that variable, how can i read the
rssi value?

Bill.

________________________________

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 06:54:40PM -0800, Bill Stevenson wrote:

> Thank you, George. My plan is very simple, just to read the rssi
> value whenever the receiver gets a valid packet, that's why i want
> to read and store that value. If i cannot access that variable, how
> can i read the rssi value?

Bill,

By the time you read the RSSI, the reading will be pretty much
meaningless, since your read will take place long after the packet
data was received.  That's why George was/is passing the RSSI in the
packet header in the inband code.

Eric